A Few Hairline Cracks-What do you think?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susqking

Reaction score
My 2002-2510 developed a few cracks this year one on the deck and the other two are on the platform that holds the batteries. Most boats have cracks here and there, should they be fixed or not worry about them. The one on the deck is about 8" long.

Anthony

Attachments

• parker cracks 003 (Small).jpg
    parker cracks 003 (Small).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 584
  • parker cracks 004 (Small).jpg
    parker cracks 004 (Small).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 584
  • parker cracks 008 (Small).jpg
    parker cracks 008 (Small).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 584
I have some on my washboards that I only see when the boat is wet.
It looks like the previous owner let her lay on some dock pilings and she got hit pretty hard. :roll:

In my case, I don't worry about it since they are so small and insignificant, but if you could slip the edge of a credit card into one of them, you might want to consider sealing them.

I wouldn't worry about the ones on the plate that hold up the batteries. It isn't structural...the cracks are in the epoxy putty holding the plate in place. If I remember, someone here remove their plate and replaced it. It is only epoxy covered plywood anyway. Simple to remove and replace when that job is due.

The crack on the deck may be more serious, but is probably just superficial. Can you back up (wider angle) and show where the crack is located?

I have a few hairline cracks around the helm where the topcap gets stressed when in heavy rolling seas. All boats flex to some degree. The glass and resin take the flexing better than the brittle gelcoat on the surface. The hairline cracks we all get are generally only in the gelcoat and go no deeper into the glass covering.

Dave

aka

Thanks gentleman.

The crack is on the deck, about two feet behind the port chair, it's very fine and a credit card would not go into it. I'm leaving it alone.

Anthony

Do you notice any flexing of the deck when you walk on/around that crack? If you tap that area with the handle end of a big screw driver, does it return a nice crisp sound, or a dull thud?

If it flexes or thuds, you have further investigating to do. Could be a delaminated or rotten core....something that can or will get worse over time.

Back