Air in System--Sea Star

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty D

Reaction score
The o-ring was leaking. Tryed to turn wheel yesterday --when it was cold outside and steering was sticking. I bleed system--Had tran. fluid inside of system [Is that ok } I took all of it out and put the right fluid in. I bleed system. Tryed to turn wheel this morning and the wheel just turn and motor didnot. When I tryed it again it was ok. I when out and tested it --ok. Am I going to need that purge machine called JR. ? It's ok but when it sits for a few houres, the wheel turns and motor doesnot. Turn it again and then its ok. I replaced the o-ring and bought that bleeding hose and did just what the diections say to do. Any Help --Please

Sounds like a sticky check valve and or air in the system. Do a search on the forum for instructions and bleed the system again. If you turn it slow and the motor does not turn try a quick jerk in the wheel and see if it starts to move. This will indicate a sticky valve. Based on your description it may be air. You said at first it was sticking? What did you mean? You couldn't turn the wheel? Or it turned but the motor didn't? Some may disagree but I had problems with trans. fluid and did not with Sea Star. Could have been a coincidence but I feel better with the Sea Star.

I put sea star fluid and it ok. BUT --I can make it not turn by turning the wheel to the left 1/4 turn and then stop and then 1/4 turn to the left and stop, what happens is you will turn 6-8-9-10 turns to the left and the motor will not move. When you do this to the right its ok. This is how it was when I was tuna fishing and I would be turning 1/4 turns to the left all the way in and the motor will not turn untill I turn it a lot to the left then it grabs. Some thing is slipping inside the helm. Do you think I need a new helm or this may be a valve ??
Your right ,I bet this wouldnot of happen with the right fluid !!!!!
Any help --please because a helm is $$$$$
Thank you --Mr. Lures
Marty D.

Mr. Lures":1x6g0za6 said:
I put sea star fluid and it ok. BUT --I can make it not turn by turning the wheel to the left 1/4 turn and then stop and then 1/4 turn to the left and stop, what happens is you will turn 6-8-9-10 turns to the left and the motor will not move. When you do this to the right its ok. This is how it was when I was tuna fishing and I would be turning 1/4 turns to the left all the way in and the motor will not turn untill I turn it a lot to the left then it grabs. Some thing is slipping inside the helm. Do you think I need a new helm or this may be a valve ??
Your right ,I bet this wouldnot of happen with the right fluid !!!!!
Any help --please because a helm is $$$$$
Thank you --Mr. Lures
Marty D.

Sounds like a sticky valve inside the helm. Some have said here that these can be rebuilt. Luckly mine was under warranty the first time and they replaced it. The second time I flushed it and changed to the SeStar fluid and have not had any issues since. If you do a search you will probably find it.

Are there mechanics that still rebuild ?? Steering helm at that >.
I live in delaware, what should I look up to have this rebuilt ?
I went fish this morning at 4 am. --The steering was ok. How can that be if its the valve. Tomorrow it maynot be ok.

I have a 2005 2520XL and occasionally the 2nd steering station fails to turn the engine. There was no signs of fluid leaking anywhere behind the steering wheel or the hydraulic cables, everything was dry and no signs of fluid residue. The system was bled with a machine by 3A marine but it didn't help.

A bunch of tests were conducted by the dealer and the problem comes from the Sea Star steering system. If you look at the engine you will see 2 silver rods running horizontal along the engine bracket. When these rods get even a tiny nick or scratch it will cut into the rubber rings or seals that slide along the rods. This is where the steering fluid is lost. You usually wont be able to detect the small amount of fluid on the silver rods but it will accumulate leading to loss of steering. This is a known problem with Sea Star.

If you run your fingers along the silver rods and it's not 100% smooth then you more than likely will experience a gradual loss of steering fluid leading to loss of steering. I was told that the rods can be sanded smooth again but the seal will never be as tight so it's only a temporary fix. I ordered a brand new steering system for 2009.

I hope this helps,
Anthony

Just wanted to thank everyone.
I was going to buy a helm. Putting the right fluid in . It took two weeks to be ok. May of had a bad valve. I did see it leak once, at the back silver rods seal. I am now going to check those rods.
If they are not leaking, I will not do anything.
Thanks for the tip.

Check to see if it the helm was under the recall.

Latest posts

Back