Airmar install

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsw

Reaction score
Any tips on doing an Airmar P79 install? My Lowrance transducer has crapped out again so I've ordered an Airmar. This is my 3rd transducer since '04 and I'm not putting another Lowrance on since they don't seem to last for me.

John S.
2120 Sport Cabin

johnsw":1a8647a8 said:
The one I'm getting is the in-hull shoot thru model, not the thru-hull.

OK... I know that one has been covered recently as well.
Try using the search feature using "P79" as your keyword.

Just an update, if anyone is still looking at this thread. I did the install last week while on vacation. Couldn't have been easier, all done without haul out, and works like a charm. Definitely recommended to anyone tired of dealing with transom mounts, or having failures like I was.

Basically, I cleaned the mount area and used a small carpenters square to mark a line perpendicular to the keel using the side of the bilge pump platform as my guide. There's 5 degrees of tolerance with this transducer, so there's some wiggle room just in case. Once marked, I put a healthy bead of 4200 on the flange of the transducer adapter, and pressed it in place with the degree marks on the flange lined up with my mark. There's a big gap between 20 and 22 degree marks on the flange, so I used the 20 mark as my reference with a slight twist towards 22. Held it down firmly with a piece of duct tape and let it cure 24 hours. A few ounces of antifreeze as a media, no leaks, and the actual transducer twist locks onto the adapter. Quick checkout and good bottom readings at all speeds.

I did lose temperature since the original temp sensor was in the transom mount. But for that, I can replace my speed sensor with a speed / temp combo sensor. Already on my to-do list for the fall.

John S.

John
Do you know if any of those threads have pics?>I want to do the same install . Your description was great and glad to hear it was an easy one. Also, do you happen to know the deadrise angle on a 2520 sl?/ thanks,
Bob

The thread above was for the thru-hull transducer, which isn't the one I installed, so those photos didn't help much. The P79 I installed is an in-hull model, so it shoots through the hull. I did find this thread that has a photo of the same unit I installed.

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... hlight=p79

Don't know what the deadrise is you have, but someone here might know or you might be able to find out from Parker somehow. They've been pretty good about answering emails the few times I contacted them. The 2120 is advertised as 21 degrees, so that's what I went with.

The P79 comes in 2 pieces - the transducer itself and an adapter tube. The adapter tube is first glued to the hull. It has an angle cut on 1 end with a flange that is marked in 2 degree increments from 4 to 22 degrees. These marks are on the the flange, and there are 2 sets of markings 180 degress opposite each other. Once you scribe a line perpendicular to the keel, you glue the adapter down lining up the marks on each side of the flange that match your hull angle. If set correctly (or close to it), then the transducer will sit level and shoot straight down to the bottom when fitted to the adapter. Tolerance of being off is printed in the install instruction as 5 degrees, so there's some room for error.

I haven't lost the bottom, even in that zone where the bow rises just before going onto plane, so the viewing angle of the transducer seems pretty wide. Overall results, I'd say, are just as good as my transom mount unit was. (But now, no more barnacles)

John
2120SC

Latest posts

Back