alternative to engine rigging tubes?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. John Deering

Reaction score
i may have an electrical issue somewhere within the flexible 2-3' rigging tube at the motor. if i have to remove the tube everything inside the motor needs to be disconnected (cables, wiring harnesses, water pressure gauge tube, etc.) a real pain.

i would rather cut the rigging tube off and replace it with some kind of wrap- on wiring harness protector. i have seen 2" non-stick wrap, but would rather use something that is wider and looks better.

i did find one from overtons, sunbrella fabric with a zipper.

any other recommendations?

Not sure if you can get the size you need, but the hot rod community uses corrugated wiring protection to build harnesses and cleanly route wiring.

I would browse the web sites of Painless Wiring, Jegs, and similar automotive suppliers.
Marine sources like BestBoatWire might have it too.

If I come across anything that might help, I'll come back and post a link.

Capt John:

I currently use this spiral wrap and love it! Wrap it tightly together and it is like an armored coating over the cables & wiring.

AP01SW36SBK.jpg

Dale,

I wouldn't have thought that stuff was big enough by the looks of it (and why I haven't tried it yet).. where'd you order it from?

-- Tom

TomS":14fm0f1b said:
I wouldn't have thought that stuff was big enough by the looks of it (and why I haven't tried it yet).. where'd you order it from?
It isn't, at least by it's 'base' diameter as sold. However, you can wrap it and form it to ANY diameter ... you just need lots of it, so don't buy 10' thinking you'll cover 5' ;) . I buy it wholesale, but electrical places sell it for cheap too. The black plastic is impervious to UV and fuel & oil, so it's ideal for marine applications!

Capt. John Deering":22av2v5t said:
dale, will that stuff expand large enough to go around a bundle of wires maybe 2-2.5" in diameter?
I have it wrapped around my main OB harness to the OB motor with hydraulic hoses in there (for a few feet), Morse control cables, oil injection line, pos/new 4awg, water pressure, etc. and it is easily a 2.5" diam bundle.

Not fun to wrap (keep having to bring the entire coil around the run with that you're wrapping) but it works. Want me to take pictures?

dale , pics not necessary for me, maybe helpful to others. i have some of that stuff, i just had no idea it would go around a large bundle of wires....thanks

Back