Aluminum Window Frames

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itguy

Reaction score
I have noticed some - I guess I would describe it as heavy oxidation - on the inside window frames of the two forward main cabin windows. What are your recommendations for smoothing out the aluminum again? They've got small bumps, which I assume is from the aluminum oxidizing.

Thanks.

Itguy

It is oxidation eating through the anodized protection of the aluminum, you can poilish it using collinite or another metal polish, but with anodized aluminium once you have the mark eating thru it is usually there for good. It is not like stainless steel where you can put it on a machine and polish it out since you will just polish off or through the rest of the anodization

It seems to be a common problem. got em on is correct in that, once the pitting is observed, they are there to stay.

You can remove the scaling by using bronze wool to remove the "bumps" and by treating the surface with woody's wax, alumaguard, wd-40 or any other corrosion repellent, you can keep the damage to a minimum.

I wonder if powder coating would have eliminated the pitting issue?

Powder coating is not a great solution in a saltwater environment. If it isn't absolutely perfect, and it never is, moisture gets trapped behind it and once the powdercoating fails you have a more serious problem. I have a good friend that is a top powder coating person here in So Cal and he does not recommend it for boat applications, even though he could sell a lot of it.

I put Boeshield on mine and it keeps it pretty nice.

JW

yeah powder coating is not a good option. Most boats that have it done Everglades, Jupiter that are a few years old pit underneath and peel the paint. Doesnt look good. The woody wax with bronze wool is the best option. I have started just wiping all the aluminum inside with a wood wax towel everytime i come back seems to work a little for now.

Back