Anchor chain

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahp2009

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 1991 23 ft sport cabin. My anchor keep getting in snagged while anchored. I checked and my anchor chain is only 5 feet. Before I buy a new one how long should my new one be?? Thanks

I have a 23' and have far less than 23' of chain. The chain's role is to lay down the anchor so that the flukes can initially take a good bite into the bottom, and then to minimize the lifting of the anchor shank from wave action. Without measuring, I'm guessing that mine is 8' or so of 3/8" stainless. Weight is the key here, however -8' of small diameter (e.g. 1/4") chain is no where near as effective as, say 3/8" chain loop wire diameter.

There are typical dimensions related to anchoring, chain length (usually length of boat & scope ( 7 times depth plus height from water) also type of bottom (mud or sand or rocky). Anchor type plays a role as well. I like Rocna or Manson Supreme. I am a long time distance cruiser so I have done my fair share of overnight anchoring and at times in some horrible conditions. However, what is your anchoring situation? If you are anchored for overnight and want to rest peacefully and feel secured, then minimally follow the guidelines I stated. If you are fishing or out having fun and want to anchor for a bit while on the boat you are probably okay. You can compensate for a shorter chain by laying out additional line.

I have a 2005 2320, 20 ft of 5/16 chain with 9/16 twisted lined and windlass. Use a 18 lb Sea claw anchor made in Florida. Fish in Delaware Bay where current around a moon is 8-10 mph on an ebb tide, no problems.

Back