Anchor Rode project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
I was looking for some photos unrelated to this subject when I came across these, and thought they might be helpful.
We have questions often that pertain to the subject, so I thought I'd post mine in case someone is looking to do the same upgrade.

I had originally replaced the old anchor rode with 300' of 1/2" three-strand twist and 20' of chain back in 2003.
It served well, but several problems presented themselves.

My anchor-swivel-to-chain did not work very well, and it caused hockles in my line.

Attachments

• Rode02 hockles.jpg
    Rode02 hockles.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 523
So after looking at my options, I ordered new rode and hardware.
The rode I bought was 1/2" 8-plait with 25' of chain, and a new barrel swivel.

8-plait is generally the go-to for people with an anchor windlass.
Unfortunately, I retrieve by hand. :)
However... the 8-plait is softer and lays much better in the chain locker, so that is where I went.

I did all this in my slip, so the first order of business was to remove the old, and prepare the new.

Attachments

• Rode01 old and new.jpg
    Rode01 old and new.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 522
Something that I did not take a photo of...

Inside the chain locker, I secured the new rode to the rear of the bow eye by tying a double figure-8 on a bight in the end of the line, and securing it with a clevis.
That way, in the unlikely event that all the rode ran out of the locker, it wouldn't leave the boat. :shock:

On the anchor end, I replaced the old swivel with a new one of the style used with a windlass. Much smoother rotation than the old one.

Attachments

• Rode03 old and new swivels.jpg
    Rode03 old and new swivels.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 522
As I replaced the old with the new, I measured the line as it went in and replaced my old rode flags with new.
Want to anchor in 20' of water at a 3:1 scope? Follow the rode flags.

Attachments

• Rode05 60 ft flag.jpg
    Rode05 60 ft flag.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 520
Next up, safety wiring the hardware.
Take a spool of stainless wire and safety wire anything that could work it's way apart.

Attachments

• Rode06 safety wiring.jpg
    Rode06 safety wiring.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 519
Finally... lock down the anchor on the pulpit, and attach the safety.
The safety in the second photo is a little hard to see, but it is a spring loaded SS catch tied to parachute cord that is anchored to the port bow cleat.
It simply clips to the chain.

Done!

Attachments

• Rode07 anchor locked down.jpg
    Rode07 anchor locked down.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 519
  • Rode08 safety.jpg
    Rode08 safety.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 519
NICE! Like that plait rode. Tip - remove that bolt on the tapered end of that fancy swivel, clean both it and the mating part w/ solvent, then apply blue LokTite and let her setup before deploying.

Or just stake the bolt in place, akin the staked gas key on your AR baby ;)

Yea... forgot to mention that.
The pins on the swivel were treated to LocTite since they could not be safety wired.

I don't know about this one Capt. Does replacing some rope really qualify as a "project"? :wink:

Nice upgrade! :)

gw204":sb7dfvoj said:
I don't know about this one Capt. Does replacing some rope really qualify as a "project"? :wink:

I guess it depends on how many beers are involved. :D

Go big, or stay home. :D

Attachments

• Miller Lite 40's.jpg
    Miller Lite 40's.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 383
RumRunner":266fj0lg said:
Captain Kevin...where do you find the rode flags?

Got them at my local West Marine, but you could probably find them online as well.

TunaJoe":1usx2ju5 said:
Do the rode flags go thru a windlass no problem?

They are mylar, so they should be good to go.
I'll let you know once I get my windlass installed. :)

Back