anchors

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KISSMYBASS

Reaction score
hi cp captains just installed a lewmar profish 1000 and would like your advice on anchors , i have a 2520 i put on a plow anchor and havent had time to get it wet yet , i put on a 22 lb delta , do you think i should go smaller regards johnny b

Depends on the area where you will be anchoring, and for what period of time.
If you are anchoring overnight, you want to make certain that you do not drag bottom.
Wind, current, and wave action plays a part, as does the type of bottom you are trying to hook.

At any rate, almost as important as the anchor itself is the amount of chain you are using.
Most of us have found that 1 foot of chain per foot of boat length is generally the accepted amount.
Some of us carry more...

Hope this helps.

I dont think you can beat a heavy danforth. I used to use a plow but found that I couldnt hook up over oyster beds and it would drag in very silty bottoms. Plows are great for firmer mud and sand though. They do set quickly. Given the options of where i fish, a heavy danforth style was my best choice. I sold my plow anchor.

I have a Delta anchor for my 2520 and I'm pretty sure it is the lighter 14 lb. I've never had a problem with it holding.

Stick with what you've got. Why go lighter.... the ProFish 1000 is doing all the work and not cracking a sweat!

Richard

i use a 13lb danforth with a 30foot shot of high test acco chain... i can hold bottom in pretty much anything, never had much luck with the plows, they refuse to hold in the mussel beds here.

like kevin said, chain is just as important.

I used the OEM Danforth for several years. Last year when Boater's World went out of business, I found a Delta Quick Set at 50% off. It was for a 30'-35' boat, but works well on my 25'

The Danforth is now used as back up or if I needed to put out two anchors in a storm.

Make sure you but 1.0 to 1.5 times the boat length in chain into the rode. The 10' that came with the OEM Danforth was not enough to hold bottom in a strong current at the CBBT several winters back. 30' of chain on a 25' boat nails that anchor to the bottom.

Dave

aka

regardless the delta anchors look better on the pulpit than a danforth....i had the 22lb delta with 30 feet of chain. oh yeah get 8 plait or ur gonna curse at that windlass everytime u use it

That anchor is perfect for your 25'. I fish in all kinds of slop and never had a problem with a 14 lb on a 2120. Fished white water with 40 knot winds.

jdbic":19zkxwql said:
BradV,
Why 8 plait? what happens to cause the cursing?

Three strand rode has a tendency to twist and kink. Sometimes on a free fall a kink will stop your drop cold requiring you to go forward and clear it. If this happens when you are trying to anchor in a very specific spot you miss your chance and get to try again.

On retrieve it will sometimes kink after it passes through the gypsy and try to wind around again.

For Example: One night I was fishing alone at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel in November. I was anchored so the current drifted me stern toward the pilings with the pilings about 50 yards away. The winds and the current were in the same direction and after I got my fish I decided to pick it up and go home.

During the anchor retrieve just as I broke it from the bottom the windlass jammed. Now I'm drifting into the pilings and had to motor away from them with 25 feet of chain and about 10 feet of rode down under the boat somewhere. I just don't like that. Then, in the wind and dark and cold go forward (yes I had a PFD and a handheld VHF strapped on) and clear the jam. 8 Plait is a small price to avoid that kind of a malfunction.

When you handle a 3 strand and an 8 plait you can see how they are VERY
different.

BTW.. I got my rode and chain from this place:

http://www.secosouth.com/mm5/merchant.m ... g_hardware

my anchor windlass requires a 3 strand 1/2in nylon, new england rope... my windlass jams here and there on retrieve... i wonder if 8 plait would work on my gypsy.

My windlass tends to 'slip' on the 3 strand quite a bit, not jam so much

After getting a jam and getting my Stripper Arm bent and having a screw fail on the stopper cam on my Lewmar Pro Fish 700, I ordered some of this 8 Plait to see if it will help. Two years ago I bought Plastimo premium 3 strand and it seems to always cause a jam. This will be the fourth trip to a repair center for this windlass going on it's 4th season. :evil: :evil:

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would have this much problems with the Lewmar. I ordered 370' + chain which should cover me in all the conditions that I might fish.

Latest posts

Back