Another Horndog project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopShot25

Reaction score
Another Horndog project, electrical panel/storage unit and speaker box, and new starboard storage cabinet.

Well guys here it is, what I’ve come up with for the starboard side of the pilothouse.

1107172-2-09%200247160-med.jpg

Again, this project started the same as the last, I first decided what I wanted to do.

1. I needed a path for my wire run to my battery compartment in the floor of the pilothouse.
2. Wanted to have a place that was easier to get to for my battery switches and breakers.
3. Needed a 120-volt electrical panel and outlets.
4. Needed storage on the side to hold my Zantrex Freedom 1500 inverter/charger and other things.
5. A place to mount my stereo speaker.
6. A place to mount my Link 2000 battery monitor.
7. And last I’ve always wanted to have a place for a fire extinguisher.

This has been a long time coming. But it’s finely all wired and except for a few doors on the cabinets, it’s done. I now have shore power, three 120-volt outlets, my 1500-watt inverter with a 75-amp charger, and I finished my water tank install in the sleeper cabinet on the port side.

Back to number one. I needed to cover the path where my wires go into the floor.

110717battery%20box%200147165-med.jpg

There were a few things I did not like about the battery compartment in the floor.

110717battery_box_013_-med.jpg

I did not like the fact that I had to open the floor every time I wanted to turn the batteries on and off. Also the battery compartment was a little tight with the battery switches and breakers down there so I wanted to move the up to where I could see them clearly. Also everything seems to get dirty down in that space for some reason. I think if I put everything up and out of there I can keep it cleaner and dryer. So I came up with my idea of how to best separate as many of my electrical elements as possible. I put my 12-volt ground in the bottom compartment.

1107172-2-09%200257162-med.jpg

That bus on the right is the ground shunt for my Link 2000 battery monitor. Then I put my 12-volt positive all together with a switch for my house bank on top and one for my inverter on the bottom. I still need to come up with labels for each. I spaced it so I could add other things later if needed.

1107172-2-09%200267163-med.jpg

1107172-2-09%200317166-med.jpg

Next I setup my 120-volt panel. I forgot to snap a pic of the inside, I will try to get one and add it later. Anyway I have my incoming shore power going to the main double poll breaker. From the main breaker down to the inverter (AC input) and then back up from the (AC output) to the branch circuit breakers, neutral and ground bus bars. The inverter has an automatic switch so when it senses AC input it just switches over and stops inverting. Anyway I have two 15-amp breakers, one for each side of the boat.

1107172-2-09%200467170-med.jpg

I put on outlet in the front side of my sleeper cabinet so I could have an outlet on each side of the boat. Didn’t ever want cords running from one side to the other if I could help it. The upper portion of the cabinet is just for storing little stuff. I also attached a speaker box to the side of the cabinet.

1107172-2-09%200397171-med.jpg

This worked out well and also holds my Link 2000 battery monitor. I have one more speaker to mount. The one opposite this one in the pilothouse, I haven’t got that one figured out yet. The storage cabinet along the wall holds my autopilot pump up front, along with my BBQ and stove in the middle and of course my inverter to the rear. I would have liked to make the middle opening larger but I needed to have room around the inverter for ventilation purposes.

I also finished my water tank install. The tank was in but I had to run all the water lines.

1107172-2-09%200427172-med.jpg

A friend of mine told me how his pop-up trailer was set up with a water fill that just hooked up to the hose. I did not really want to cut a hole in the deck for the water fill. It just seemed stupid to cut a big hole for that stainless deck fill to fill a 15 gallon tank. After hearing about the hose inlet everything fell into place because I knew where everything else was going, so I started drilling holes. It did take a little work and luck to get everything done. The hose bib was tough. I needed it to line up and come tight on the pilothouse wall. This meant that the nipple had to be the exact length that the hose bib was lined up along with the elbow on the inside pointing down while coming tight on the wall and threads as not to leak. Of course a one inch nipple was loose and a one and a half inch was to long. Talked with a buddy and he went through a box of one inch nipples and found one with steep shoulders that essentially made it longer and it did the job.

1107172-2-09%200437169-med.jpg

Because of the tight fit everything fit close enough to the wall that it did not interfere with my cushions. Although the top cushion completely covers it, I even have enough room to put a piece of carpet over the hoses and you will never even know they’re there.

Now that it's done, I almost can't believe it. I have learned a ton about my boat and how everything works. You really can't believe how much that Link 2000 can teach you, but that's another post, coming soon to our favorite web site.

Once again John, that's great work! Your boat is so tricked out...looks awesome!

That looks great!!! I wish I had skills to do a project like that.. Sweet job...

Brian, thanks for the kind words. It was great meeting you and Kim at the Rendezvous. When I got home and told my wife about you two and how nice the weather was, she was bummed she didn’t go. I thought we would see you again that night. I guess I missed you on the radio when you left, but it was a blast hanging out.

I can’t wait to show you my squid light. I’m going to try to get some squid in the next couple of weeks. I’m hopeful that we can get some to float. I was surprised to see so much squid on the meter when we were out there. I’m not sure if I can make it this weekend or not, but very soon. Send me a pm sometime, let me know where you spend the night when you’re fishing squid, WSB and yellows.

Good luck, see you soon.

awesome job and great ideas. one of the cool things about Parkers is they are so easy and fun to modify. 8)

John- You can give a clinic on modifications, these pictures don't do the boat justice. I will let you know when I plan on getting out there, seabass season is around the corner...would be cool to get a few of us out there on a weekend, but away from the fleet of course.

Wow,.. Excellent post. Absolutely brilliant project layout, from concept through design to finish. Thanks for sharing, and providing the inspiration and documentation for the rest of us. The ClassicParker Knoweledgebase cointinues to grow........ 8)

To everyone, thanks for the nice comments. I have to agree that these boats are built to modify. It’s really up to each person’s imagination.

Jamie can’t wait to see pictures of your additions.

I wish I had taken a picture of the lower cabinet along the side. It’s really a face with two vertical pieces. Four screws and the thing just slides out toward the center of the boat. It’s a tight fit to get it in and out. I had to have it removable so I could access the wiring and inverter whenever needed.

i think it would be cool to have a bench seat (like in the 2320) that would morph into a full sized bed using the helm pedestal as a support. that would be a neat project for camping out.

Porkchunker":2d5azo0w said:
Awesome work. If you keep that up, you will displace Megabyte as the king of photo capture projects.

I have to say that the idea of capturing project photos wasn't an original idea for me. I learned that from ClassicMako.com which is where I used to post my project threads long before CP was born. :)

One of the great things about CP is that when a member performs a modification or begins a project, a camera is one of the first items to go into the tool bag. Having the presence of mind to document the project, then post the results is what makes this site, and its members, so great.

Excellent work! 8)

>>i think it would be cool to have a bench seat (like in the 2320) that would morph into a full sized bed using the helm pedestal as a support. that would be a neat project for camping out.

I did something similar. My helm chair folds out and is supported by the passenger console. I’ll use a bean bag chair when sitting up or the v-berth cushions for lying down. In rough weather and at night, I’ve spent many miles on autopilot going at 5 knots while lying down watching dvd’s and the radar. Even in the roughest seas, you don’t get seasick because the rocking of the boat makes you feel like you are in a rocking chair.

BTW: very nice projects Horndog.

Attachments

• img_0261.jpeg
    img_0261.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 1,535
  • img_0262.jpeg
    img_0262.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,535
John, that's amazing, we are also redoing our pilot house, adding a sink and making it more comfy !

Back