Another OX66 Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimC2520

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

You guys helped me out alot over the summer disgnose and fix a problem..maybe you remember TomS :D
Well, I have another question...This past Saturday was the last trip planned for the year so I wanted to leave early and fish all day....We got to the marina around 5:45ish..it was a crisp 21 degrees :shock:
I tilted the motor down first thing then unloaded the truck, got dressed, got my gear in order and roughly 6:00 cranked the engine with the switch on "Both" ...... Something happened that I have noticed over the past few years but only happens during extremely cold starts. I didn't take the cover off to see what I suspected but it sure sounded like after a split second crank, the starter sounds like it "falls off" the flywheel teeth, sorta like losing its grip and if I dont let off the key, just the starter sounds like it's spinning....This happens maybe 10-15 times before it'll crank long enough to turn over....Doesnt matter if battery is on #1, #2, or both...Or should it? This only happens during extremely cold mornings and the boat starts normally the rest of the day... If it's above freezing, I never have that problem, starts almost instantly. What do you think? I'm done for the year now and the boat is probably "on the hard" now but I was just curious if anyone else experiences this. It's a 1999 225 OX66.

Hi Tim,
I've run into this problem before. Sounds like your starter solenoid isn't engaging all the way, and when it cranks, the solenoid is only pulling the gear part way out and it's not fully engaging with the flywheel.
The other possibility is that the flywheel is worn down, but this would only happen if you have had this problem for a long time and the starter teeth wore a groove in the flywheel.

A new solenoid should be fairly inexpensive. Don't let the problem go, or you will end up having to replace that flywheel. Check the starter gear and also look for signs of this on the inside of the flywheel where the starter engages. Another possibility is a worn starter gear. If the gear is not square, but slightly rounded or convex on the top of the gear, replace both the solenoid and the gear, or if you have the money, just get another starter. If the flywheel looks worn, you will know. If you see a few little knicks, don't be suprised.

TimC2520":3q9mtp9c said:
Thanks Chris...
Do you think the extreme cold could be causing this gear to stick since it only happens during sub30 degree weather?
Definitely!

First, keep the starter/Bendix driveshaft clean to prevent sticking. Use a silicone lubricant on this, preferable a 'dry' version or one that 'dries', as wet lubricants, e.g., Breakfree, LPS, or WD40, attract dust and dirt.

I forgot to mention, the batteries are finishing up a third season now although not sure if that could matter...maybe a combo of that, the extreme cold and a "sticky" gear, there may not have been enough "ooomph" to shoot that starter gear up hard enough to grab the flywheel and start the spin. Dale, any suggestions on what brand name lube I could pick up? Might try to apply some before I put the cover on her.

I know more on motorcycle starting systems then boat engines but I have to agree with the solenoid being the problem. I would think as in a motorcycle, a pinion gear is pushed forward to engage the flywheel by the solenoid. A faulty solenoid would cause the pinion gear to not fully engage or stay engaged into the flywheel and eventually cause damage to the pinion gear first,(softer metal) then more costly the fly wheel. Maybe you outboard guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you clearly see the pinion and flywheel just by removing the cover? With my motorcycle it proved quite costly as I did damage the flywheel and pinion. I attempted to rebuild the solenoid instead of replacing the complete starter/solenoid as a unit.

I was browsing through the shop manual last night and apparently the 200-250 hp EFI models have "The standard type starter without a solenoid" and the 150-250 hp HPDI models have "The solenoid type starter." It's on pages 236-237 in the Clymer manual. I'll have to pull that plastic cover over the flywheel and see it the teeth look ok.

Back