anti fatigue helm mat

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capt.nick

Reaction score
I'm considering an "anti fatigue" boat mat for my helm of my 23 SE and wondering what you guys are using, if any. I've seen Sea Dek mats but I'm too cheap to spend $200 on one not knowing how much they help or whether it would be a tripping hazard.

Over the last 19 years that we have been diving from your old hand-me-down Mod-V, I have tried two different approaches to anti-fatigue helm floor mats and gave up on both. First I tried the squishy imitation diamond-plate stuff from Costco/HomeDepot/Lowes, probably just because it had "Anti-fatigue" written all over the package.

package.jpg

It went down ok, and had some therapeutic “give” to it but I don't think it was all as advertised in the anti-fatigue department. The big problem was that it was so slippery when wet that it was like a skating rink. Our feet are only dry on the outbound leg of each trip, and water seeping out of our wetsuits keeps the decks continuously slippery. The diamond plate pattern didn’t help with the traction at all and the foam was closed cell, so it just kept the water on the surface.

DoneStbd.jpg

The next thing I tried was the hard rubber honeycomb mat. It drained well, and had plenty of traction, but was tough on bare feet, and I kept stubbing my toes in the little holes!. You probably fish with some kind of shoes on, so you might have better luck with this type. It does have a higher profile off the deck though, so unless you can finish it completely flush to the bulkhead all around, you've got a trip hazard.

918058.jpg

I finally just thew down a 2X3 rubber-backed entrance mat from Costco/HomeDepot/Lowes for traction and more than a little bit of cushion. Has a surprising amount of cushion in the polyester tufted pile that they all have. Tough too. Its been there for more than 10 years now, just needing a pressure-washing occasionally to spruce it up.
235754_MAIN._AC_SS600_V1591390893_.jpg

mat.jpg
I then attacked the "anti-fatigue" problem from the other side, by adding a set of cushy insoles into the boat shoes I wear for the dry outbound leg of the trip. That helped more than any of the floor mats! Cheaper too.

Over the last 19 years that we have been diving from your old hand-me-down Mod-V, I have tried two different approaches to anti-fatigue helm floor mats and gave up on both. First I tried the squishy imitation diamond-plate stuff from Costco/HomeDepot/Lowes, probably just because it had "Anti-fatigue" written all over the package.

View attachment 36769

It went down ok, and had some therapeutic “give” to it but I don't think it was all as advertised in the anti-fatigue department. The big problem was that it was so slippery when wet that it was like a skating rink. Our feet are only dry on the outbound leg of each trip, and water seeping out of our wetsuits keeps the decks continuously slippery. The diamond plate pattern didn’t help with the traction at all and the foam was closed cell, so it just kept the water on the surface.

View attachment 36770

The next thing I tried was the hard rubber honeycomb mat. It drained well, and had plenty of traction, but was tough on bare feet, and I kept stubbing my toes in the little holes!. You probably fish with some kind of shoes on, so you might have better luck with this type. It does have a higher profile off the deck though, so unless you can finish it completely flush to the bulkhead all around, you've got a trip hazard.

View attachment 36771

I finally just thew down a 2X3 rubber-backed entrance mat from Costco/HomeDepot/Lowes for traction and more than a little bit of cushion. Has a surprising amount of cushion in the polyester tufted pile that they all have. Tough too. Its been there for more than 10 years now, just needing a pressure-washing occasionally to spruce it up.
View attachment 36774

View attachment 36772
I then attacked the "anti-fatigue" problem from the other side, by adding a set of cushy insoles into the boat shoes I wear for the dry outbound leg of the trip. That helped more than any of the floor mats! Cheaper too.
I just use 1/2" thick black Yoga Mats (no, I don't 'do' Yoga ☺). I use Yoga mats for/as padded flooring. I like having the padded flooring anywhere I need to be on my knees as these old knees, need knee protection...

Last edited:
Sea Shocks. The best in my opinion. Fits perfectly between the console and the live well on a center console parker.

Back