Anyone regret buying 21SE over 23SE?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unless it is weight or just size you are worried about I would think a 23 would be little safer for offshore use and more room dosn't ever hurt.. If it was me and money wasn't the issue .I am a bigger is better type guy . My friend has a 23 that does great offshore , But my 25 is much better with the extra beam. if It is inshore maybe the 21 is little easier to hadler in tight places

I purchased an 08 21SE with the idea I didn't want to go offshore. I use it in Del bay & river and on the Chesp. Very happy with the product and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Bigger is always better unless you have restrictions...
The 23 will be heavier to tow and the 21 will be a little easier to work inshore.
The 23 is awesome, but the 21 is a BIG 21. The 21 is also less expensive.

It's all about what your restrictions are, and what you want to do with it. :wink:

I have only had my 21 SE for two months, so please consider that. I have had it in a few feet of water attempting to catch flounder and puppy drum. I have had it in the Pamlico Sound at night fishing for big drum, and near shore for Spanish. To-date I am very happy with the boat, and do not see a reason to get a 23. Generally we just have two people in the boat, but have had 5 fishing. That was tight. As Capt Kevin said, it is a big 21. I was off MHC today, it was rough, very few boats out there, I was very impressed with the Parker in-less then favorable conditions.

Craig

I have owned both, have the 23se now, and I still fish in a friends 21se. Both are a bit more different than just more length. 8)

I am in the same boat, so to speak. I'm on my 2nd season with my 21 SE, my 1st Parker, and the largest boat I've had yet. I use it in the Pamlico and occasionally in shore, and am very impressed with it. An extremely versatile rig. However, I'm thinking of moving up to the 23 se next year, mostly for the increased room, because I sometimes like to fish 4-5 people. I'm guessing that if I go up another 450 lbs and switch to a 200 4 stroke I'll still burn less gas than with the 150 2 stroke on my 21 se. Any thoughts on that?

Peter Boettger
Greenville, NC

I own a Parker 21SE with a 150 2 stroke. I love the boat and I'm pleased with the ride in all conditions. I live is southern California and regularly venture 40 to 50 offshore in search of tuna. When the seas are rough I just deploy the tabs and slow down a bit. I also own a Formula 223, with a 24 degree bottom, and I fish the same waters with both boats.

The Formula rides better in rough water but I feel just as safe with my Parker! The difference in travel time is not that great between the two boats and the fuel economy is much better with the Parker.

I purchased and 18 new in 1992. It was a beast of an 18 and a great boat. Purchased a 21 SE in 2000 and it was a great boat (1200 hours). Rode in a friend’s 23SE and could not believe how much nicer it was in every way. Had to have one and purchased my current 23 SE in 2004 (1900 hours so far). It goes as shallow and launches as easily as the 21 SE. It is a little heavier to tow but I still tow with the same type vehicle as the 21 SE--a 1500 Suburban with 5.3 l engine. It tows it very well. People who say the 23 SE is the same boat and just two feet longer just do not have much experience with both boats. The 23 SE runs fine with a 150 FS Yammy but I opted for the 225. The 23 takes the chop much better. It runs faster and drier in the same seas. It is hard to put the difference in words. It is mostly a feel. It feels like a much bigger boat. The point of the bow is brought further forward and helps it cut through the water. I feel much safer in big water in the 23 SE.

If you can swing it do not do as I did and work up to the 23 SE. Save some money and get the 23 SE right off the bat. I can think of no real negatives. I never got the 23 SE for the extra space because I fly fish a lot and usually take only one other fisherman. It is all about the ride and feel of the bigger boat.

When I get old :) and want to down size it will be a Parker 18, but then I would not fish in all the ocean spots I fish now. I am not the type person who raves about whatever product I own. If it sucks or is mediocre I tell the world. The 23 SE is an ideal light tackle and fly fishing boat and that is what I do.

Is it perfect, no it is not? I push it hard in big water and have had some stress cracks in two locations. Neither was a structural failure or threatened the integrity of the hull. Both I have had repaired.

Back