Auto Pilot recommendations

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meat Without Feet

Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for an autopilot for a 2100SE with an F150, Hydraulic Steering, etc. (as per my siggy) ?

Thanks a million in advance.

the Ray Marine S1000 rules.
Easy to install and great for trolling and searching for working fish from the bow.

For the money, the S1000 is hard to beat. It does have it's limits though.

I had heard that, at very slow speeds, or at higher speeds when headed into the wind or current, that, if the vessel was doing less than 2-3 knots over ground, that the AP would not work.

It hasn't happened to me yet but I have the newer software in my unit and I rarely troll at less than 2 - 3 knots so it was not an issue for me.

I love having AP on those long runs. Sure don't get as tired.

I'd buy one again if mine broke.

not to completely derail the thread but what do most people use their autopilot for? Trolling strictly? I find myself with the pilot house altering course to get a better ride than going a straight line to my destination.

I rarely change course just to avoid directions. Only time I do that is if the seas are directly on my beam and they are big.

For me it's a point A to point B utility.

How far do you typically run? We go about 2 miles offshore here and you have to zig zag around boats.

I've had good luck with the Robertson units I believe they are now all Simrad units.
I also had a Navico unit with a rotary helm. It steered the boat straight as an arrow.
Definitely spend the few extra minutes to integrate with your gps it will make a great tool even better.
We often run long distances so, as mentioned before, it is critical for fighting fatigue.
A short trip is usually 25 miles each way.
Long trips can be 100+ each way.
Auto Pilot is a must for me.

Peter

BradV":2cxigy5w said:
How far do you typically run? We go about 2 miles offshore here and you have to zig zag around boats.

Not uncommon to run out 25-80 miles out. I usually don't even turn it on until we are offshore at least 5 miles. We have a lot of crab traps marked by buoys closer to shore.

With the remote, zig zagging is easy. Just press the <or> in the direction you want to go. Each press is 1 deg. Hold it down for, i think, 3 sec = 5 deg.

When you get past the boats, just hit the mode, track and you are back on route.

Thanks for the replies guys. I usually go out about 20-30 miles. Average round trip is 80 miles.

Back