Backing needed with Braided Line?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnkn

Reaction score
Greetings, when spooling 40-50 lb small diameter braided line on a trolling reel, is it necessary to install mono backing first?

Thanks

mono backing can provide a degree of grip between your spool and the line for correct drag. this is debated by some if necessary but i have actually seen some slipping issues further into a spool in heavy big-gun drag situations. i (personally) always spool some mono first.

mono is gonna be significantly thicker than braid at the same test, so use mono to help fill up your reel as not to need 2x the length of only braid - unless you want extra length.

for example, for big-gun tuna reels i have mono backing (100 yards) for base grip, then braid backing (1000 yards of length) and then 100 yard floro top shot. only need 100 yards of floor top shot and floro is expensive!

Ok, perhaps 10% backing. What's the best knot, Albright?
Thanks

Learn how to tie a Sebile Knot. I have never had a knot failure between braid and mono/Fluoro using it and it goes through even the smallest guides. I also put about 50 yds of Mono under my braid.

Back