backing up with a bracket...??

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2320 pilothouse

Reaction score
so i finally had time to drive my new parker --love it-- the one big issue i have though is backing up to dock her,very difficult,no bite,takes ahwile to get her to move,any side wind i have no control..still have stock prop on boat,any ideas????

dave

danielb":37b746w3 said:
parkers with their engines on a bracket are a little hard to backdown, tilt the engine up about a quarter(or more) of the tilt and trim gauge and your results will be better.
reason is with the engine down, the reverse thrust is hitting the stern instead of going under the boat, tilting the engine gets the water doing under the boat and you get better steerage.
sometimes if you are trying to move the boat against the current you will have to rev a little bit higher than usual.

Spot on! :)
Trim her up a bit (but not too much), and you will have much better luck.

You might also notice that even when trimmed up, the boat doesn't want to back and turn in one direction and it will do it nicely in the other direction. Take some time to figure that out in an open area by backing toward a flexible day marker (where I boat, there are a lot of them- just cedar stakes stuck in to mark channels). That way, you get practice backing toward a frame of refenerence and you don't risk hitting anybody else or damaging your own boat.

boy i tell ya this backing up into a slip is a pain in the ass...tried everything-- i thinking the mirage 15 3/8 x 18 prop maybe my answer...??

dave

21pilothouse":wg9kga8b said:
boy i tell ya this backing up into a slip is a pain in the ass...tried everything-- i thinking the mirage 15 3/8 x 18 prop maybe my answer...??

A prop with more 'bite' could possibly help, but it isn't a slam-dunk.
I tried a 4-blade on my boat and while it did bite well around the dock, cruise suffered and I eventually went back to a 3-blade Merc Mirage Plus.

Tipping the motor up slightly (but not too much!) will help push the water under your hull and assist backing down.
Even though a Parker pilothouse is a lower sail area than similar designs by other manufacturers, the p-house can still act as a sail in a cross wind.
The lighter weight of the 21 and 23 (versus the 25) might complicate that.

I've been in situations in ~20kt cross winds that made docking a challange.
In those instances, checking the wind direction on approach and compensating accordingly has helped.

I had a friend years ago who told me that the builders put rub rails on their boats for a reason.
He showed me how to allow the wind to push the stern against a piling on the downwind side, then use the motor to pivot the boat on that piling, and into the slip.
If you have crew aboard, this is the time to tell everyone to keep their hands inside, and off the piling! A shove-off will definately wreck your pivot plans.

If there is not a downwind piling, approach the slip at a 90 degree angle and use a warp line to keep you tight to the upwind piling, and rotate off of that.

Chapmans has a whole section (Chapter 9) called "Seamanship under Power" that outlines many of the methods you can employ to help you land a single screw outboard. Check out the diagrams and see if any of their examples pertain to your situation.

Hope this helps!

i have a single f250.i can judge the wind good --opening the side windows help..i have tried raising the engine also.it just takes forever to bite when you spin her and then go to reverse,so if you dont time it right you have lost it..when i had the 2120 it was never a issue...i guess i have to keep at it--but i am upgrading to the mirage prop either way..

dave

21 Pilothouse,

I was having the same issue, and think I figured out this past weekend. The boat does tend to slide rather than react quickly when steering in reverse at slow speeds. I found that if you quickly "goose" the motor in reverse, she grabs pretty quickly and will get you moving in the right direction. Hope this helps.

FishFactory":1dzjvl0y said:
Coming in slow will get you in more trouble. If you don't overpower the wind and current, yer'll lose everytime. IMO, never try and "save" a docking, if in trouble, pull out and start over clean.

All boats back to one side....when it get's crooked, cut motor and goose in foreward to kick back of boat in line again.

The super-slow Sea-Star makes this hard....Sea-Star posts on THT and says the're coming out with a faster helm. In the meantime you can stick yer finger in the spokes and spin wheel or get a speed knob.

Having said above.....I would tear off all 3 sides of a cabin boat, I have a CC. :D
hahahahahaha i follow the same process...its all good

Latest posts

Back