Barely Legal gets an autopilot

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rloomis

Reaction score
Installed the Furuno 520 autopilot in my 2120. Here's some pics of the install...

Behind the dash, showing the hydraulic lines added to the helm pump and run along the
wiring bundle under the starboard gunnel to the aft.
01_IMAG0388.jpg

Closeup of the tee fittings for the added hydraulic lines
02_IMAG0387.jpg

Shot of the pump installed behind the storage bin inside the space under the step.
03_IMAG0399.jpg

Also installed, an Actisense NMEA multiplexer. This lets me run the AP, plotter, GPS,
and NMEA transmit lines together into a multiplexed line that I can send to my laptop
over RS-232 or USB. This also let me mux the NMEA transmit line from my ICOM-504 VHF
into my plotter. If someone sends me a DSC position report message, it should
automatically get plotted as a waypoint on my plotter -- cool! :)
04_IMAG0386.jpg

Here's the AP central processor box mounted against the left side of the dash.
You can also see an ugly bunch of RS-232, USB and ethernet wire coiled in a bunch and
held to the dash support post with a velcro strap. Those wires are fed to my laptop when
I bring it aboard and I can use it see all the message traffic on my NMEA network and Furuno NavNet.
05_IMAG0389.jpg

The central processor is pretty big and heavy so it was mounted with through hole screws using
SS countersink washers to give it a factory finish look.
06_IMAG0390.jpg

Front of the dashboard. The AP control is the tethered handheld type and removable. When
mounted in the bracket, the display is lined up with the Yamaha gauges. The tether
wire is run under the dash and coiled under the gunnel.
06_IMAG0404.jpg

Closeup of the tether, coiled and held in place with velcro straps. I can release the velcro
and run the tether line out the window to the pilot house roof. There I can use the AP
controller to steer the boat from the tuna tower :)
07_IMAG0395.jpg

The heading sensor was installed in a space in front of the storage bin. The bin had to
be relocated a little bit aft to make room here.
08_IMAG0396.jpg

Here you can see the storage bin shifted all the way aft. Looks good and no problems except
making it a little harder to clean behind it. You can also just see a little bit of the pump hiding in
the spot aft of the storage bin.
09_IMAG0400.jpg

WOW :shock:
I'm dizzy :roll:
It sure looks nice
I would like to do that to my 2120 next year
Really nice job to say the least 8)

Back