Batteries

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky John

Reaction score
I replaced both batteries on my 07 2120 two years ago. I was told today after my boat was hauled that both batteries need to be replaced. I had bought both batteries from my mechanic instead of saving 40 dollars each and just buying them from Costco,BJ's or any other retail store.
What size battieries do I need......group 2 750 or 850 cranking amp ? Anyone have an opinion on those higher end batteries?

Lucky John,

I replaced my old batteries on my 2300CCDV with Sears Platnum 1 group 31M,they are pricy,but they come with 3 year warranty no questions asked and I read in many forums that they are very good,always get more battery than you actually need.

Robert

Doesn't sound right to me, you should be getting more than 2 years out of your batteries.

FYI, I know for a fact that Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls, admittedly one of the best names in the battery business (they also own Optima - the gel cell company). Other best-in-class brands are Interstate and Rolls. WallyWorld sells enough that you're guaranteed to get a fresh one, only buy one made within the past 6-months or less.

Brent":3bc9egy9 said:
I buy batteries from Sams Club and Walmart. Both tests them for free and use the same battery tester plus gives you a detailed printout of the test parameters.

Maybe your batteries had a bad connection and need be charged and tested.

I was having a couple of issues before having the boat hauled out. I thought there was a good chance one went bad........I stopped at BJ's on the way home. A better marine battery there was either 89 or 159. I remember the last time I saw Wally World had a few.
Do you guys run on "both" or do you alternate usage?

Lucky John":2bf50jog said:
Do you guys run on "both" or do you alternate usage?
If (1) your boat doesn't have a specific battery combiner (like a Yandina model C70) or (2) the motor doesn't have isolation circuitry built-in (like some newer Yam 4-strokes do) ... then I'd advise alternating the batteries. A quick easy way is to run #1 on odd days of the week, per the calendar, and #2 on even days. Some run out on #1 and back in on #2.

Now, if you will be cruising 100% and NOT shutting off the motor, you can run on 'Both'. However, if you shut down and leave it on 'Both', your batteries will equalize. And if one went bad or was going bad or developed a bad cell ... I have seen cases where that bum battery sucked all the life and energy out of the good one ... leaving that boat dead-in-the-water.

My battery switch is behind a twist out cover and my regimen is, IF I run out on 'Both', say runing offshore to go trolling for toona, I'll leave that port cover off ... hopefully triggering a mental note in my brain that don't shut the motors off without switching to #1 or #2. Personally, I find that battery #1 run on today, being the 13th of the month, as the easiest way to go, less having combiners installed that is.

Great question!

I swapped out my OEM Perko (1, 2 or Both) 2 years ago with the Blue Seas Add A Batt Kit with an ACR. Now it's just ON or OFF with an Emergency Combine. If the ACR senses a load, Batts are isolated, if the ACR senses a charge, both are combined, pretty simple. I am getting 3-4 years out of Interstates but when these go I may go with Odyssey as there is a distributor 15 minutes from my house. Pricey but great reviews....Same size also so they'll fit in the current tray.

I just don't have the mentality to keep up with a battery switching regimen. I've got the Yandina and never run on anything but #1 (house) battery unless engine won't start.

After 2 years batteries get replaced at the first sign of trouble.

I've had a pair of blue-top Optimas in my boat since I bought it in 2003.
I've never taken them out for the winter either.
Oh... I always run her battery switch on 'both'.

Probably time to replace them this spring, just because...
When I do, I'll put the biggest Lifeline AGM's in her that space allows, probably G31's.
Those batteries should last me just about forever. :)

I have been going further and further offshore each season. My biggest fear is to try an start the engine 60 miles off and nada.... :shock: I got three seasons out of the original Interstates and changed them just because. I use the boat about 5 days a week and have alternated back and forth.

Ah isn't it great we all have our own opinions about how we manage our boats and our lives and that there is usually not a right or a wrong.

The only time my battery switch is on BOTH is if I cannot start the engine on battery #1 or #2 and this is my desperation option to use BOTH at the same time to hopefully get enough juice to start the engine. If there was a short circuit or something left on drawing juice while my engine was not running, I was always concerned both batteries could be drained.

I used to switch batteries every time I went out on my boat. Set it on #1 and go out & fool around all day keeping #2 only as a reserve. Then next time I would do the reverse. The only battery that got charged was the one used for the day and that used to concern me.

Talking to a Yamaha engineer one day about my concern, he suggested I buy a cable they sell which plugs into a waterproof fitting under the engine cowling on my 2007 F150 FS while the other end is hooked up to battery #2. The engine computer then decides which battery to charge so long as I keep the battery switch on #1 (or BOTH). So I start the engine on #1 now and just run it on that setting all the time. Once a month I switch to #2 and start my engine with it just to insure that it is fully charged & then immediately switch back to #1. The engine has kept both batteries well charged since I added the new cable over a year ago.

When my boat was fairly new, the #2 battery failed. I took it to Interstate. They pointed out that the battery was out of warranty because they dated it at their factory before it went into my boat and that was the warranty start date. They tested it overnight and because it had a dead cell, they gave me a new one for no charge. A year later #2 failed and I knew it was out of warranty. I bought the blue Optima at Costco and put it in the #1 position keeping the Interstate as #2. Have not had a battery issue since using the Optima as the house battery (#1) and staying on #1 as my new Yamaha cable permits both batteries to be safely charged without setting the battery switch to BOTH.

Have a great holiday season all!

You can never have too much power.

I swapped from two group 27 batteries to a single 1500CCA 8D battery. I can light up a disco and party all night. I like the extra weight for my boat and the ability to crank for an hour.

Latest posts

Back