Battery charger/conditioner/maintainer install

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
I had a little time today to do some maintenance on the Megabyte, so I decided to install my Guest battery maintainer.

Here is the unit that I bought.
http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... t=0&page=1

My original plan was to install it on the transom bulkhead in the right hand opening on this photo.

DSCN0005.JPG

Trouble was that I could not route the wiring in the manner that I wanted, and keep it neat. The cables to the batteries were too short for what I wanted to do, so I resorted to "plan B".

I ended up mounting the charging unit inside of the bilge hatch on the stbd side.

DSCN0006.JPG

Not a lot to show of the install...
Four screws mounted the unit, and then the battery wires were run.

I spent a considerable amount of time cleaning and re-routing all of the cables connected to the batteries to make everything clean and neat.

Note to self: When cleaning battery cables, bring 80 grit paper to the boat. 220 paper takes too long to get everything clean and shiny. :(
Once everything was secure, I hosed down all of the connections with Corrosion X to keep everything clean and corrosion free. 8)

DSCN0008.JPG

The electrical connection for the power cord will be inside the transom area and I installed a bunch of cable tie attachment points inside to secure the power cable.
I glued the cable attachments with a small dab of silicone sealant which needs about 24 hours to cure properly before I can secure the rest of the wiring. That will be done tomorrow.

DSCN0010.JPG

Plugged it in to test everything and she works like a charm. :)

DSCN0012.JPG

DSCN0011.JPG

It was a worthwhile project. :wink:

Nice job on the installation and the photo documentation.

After fishing with Capt. Kevin yesterday, I can attest to the well-organized and spotless condition of the Megabyte.

Here is a photo of Kevin winding in our only striper of the day. It was not large enough to keep. However, we (Team Parker) won first place in the largest white perch category of the Severn River Rod and Keg Club Summer Classic tournament yesterday.

Attachments

• 2008-06-28 003.JPG
    2008-06-28 003.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,370
Perch champions once again! WooHoo!!! :)

Here was my biggest rockfish of the day.
It was a monster! :D

DSCN0003.JPG

Hopefully my latest boat project will allow me to boat and fish without worrying about the condition of my batteries from now on. :wink:

As usual Kevin, nice job posting the project. Looks like something I need to do as well. As you suggest it sure gives a nice comfort factor insuring the batteries are up to snuff before you leave the dock.

The picture with you landing the big one!!!!! Looks like the Rock Hall water tower and new 300' communications tower in the background.....was that the Love Point or Hickory Thicket area.

evetsmd":3qp634va said:
The picture with you landing the big one!!!!! Looks like the Rock Hall water tower and new 300' communications tower in the background.....was that the Love Point or Hickory Thicket area.

Those two towers are at Matapeake State Park and the area we were fishing was from Brickhouse Bar south to Gum Thickets.
The fish hit a June Bug spoon umbrella and was all of about 15 inches. It 'self released' at the boat. :D

I was also pulling a red hose in hope that there would be Blues around, but no luck on that this time.

Thanks Kevin!

Yet another top-quality project how-to for the ClassicParker Knowledgebase 8)

Looks like you scoped out a great Charger/Maintainer unit as well. The specs on the BOE site talk about how you can select which battery type you have and the unit will respond to it appropriately.

I guess I never gave that much thought. How would this unit treat your AGM differently than my flooded cell? Rates of charging different? Allowable discharge level prior to "topping off"?

cbigma":27c9h3zm said:
I guess I never gave that much thought. How would this unit treat your AGM differently than my flooded cell? Rates of charging different? Allowable discharge level prior to "topping off"?

Actually... it treats flooded cell and AGM's exactly the same way.
It is only gel cells that are different. :wink:

Capt. Kevin, Thank you for the great pictorial on charger install. May I ask who gave you the best price on your guest unit?

Capt. Kevin, also I would like to add my thanks for picture tutorial on installing the battery charger, I just order one from BOE.

Back