Battery charger

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96TL

Reaction score
I am considering installing an on-board battery charger this spring. I've been debating over it for the past season or two, but I'm spending a chunk of change on AGM batteries, and want them to last. I’ve been reading about electrolysis and galvanic corrosion, and it’s all very confusing to me. There are lots of different opinions and conclusions in regards to both.

I’ll have to feed the on-board charger from the dockside shore power receptacle, which I believe is usually the root of the problem(s), depending on how the receptacle and boat are both wired.

I called a few manufacturers, and they really didn’t understand what I was trying to say about electrolysis and galvanic corrosion. I received a few silly answers. The battery chargers are potted, the bracket is SS, the wiring is tinned, etc, no need to worry about corrosion. LOL. Totally irrelevant.

I know many of you guys are running battery chargers without any problems. What kind of charger do you have? And what precautions did you take when installing (if any)? Any signs of electrolysis and/or galvanic corrosion? Are you running a galvanic isolator? Am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks for the help guys!

Dom

seems to me that the manufacturers of the onboard charging would have something in place to prevent that and if you are grounded i think you should be fine. I wouldnt worry about it

We have had stretches of spring weather (like right now) where we get a lot of rain and the boat sits idle in the slip for days or weeks. During the boating season, NorEasters and tropical storms can dump huge quanties of water on our decks in a short period of time.

Rainwater makes its way to the bilge where the pump(s) get rid of it. No secret there... and normally its not a problem. That is how they are designed to work.

Trouble can happen if a pump fails, a switch gets stuck, or the pumps cycle so many times during a storm event that they draw a battery down to a dangerously weak level.
(on my boat, each of the 1500 gph pumps in the stern draws power from a separate battery)

During periods of time like that, being able to plug your batteries into shore power gives you peace of mind. I only plug my batteries in to top them off after an extended idle period, or during a storm event where I want to insure my safety systems continue to function.

If you trailer, your needs will be different.

Dom, I'm getting ready to replace a pair of 6 year-old Optima blue-tops with a pair of Lifeline AGM's.
What brand of AGM battery did you decide to install :?:

FishFactory":dk11j14i said:
Why do yer need to charge batteries? I change out 2 standard issue BassPro batteries every 3 years. Boat sits as much as 5 months w/o being used.

I use a lot of power and make a lot of short runs, and feel that my short running time doesn’t charge the batteries back up to 100%. Plus the batteries will last much longer if properly maintained at the correct voltage.

I also hangout on my boat in the marina often with the spreader lights on, radio on, etc. And like Kevin said, it’s for piece of mind.

I also have two 2200GPH bilge pumps that like to suck up power. 8)

Megabyte":3vr1zelw said:
Dom, I'm getting ready to replace a pair of 6 year-old Optima blue-tops with a pair of Lifeline AGM's.
What brand of AGM battery did you decide to install :?:

Hey Kevin.

Thanks for the link. Do your zincs corrode any faster since installing the battery charger?

I'm taking a very long drive to Cabela’s (CT) tonght to pickup a pair of AGM batteries. They are actually made by Adventure Power Marine, and have the best specs vs price I was able to find. I’m still undecided between the Group 27s or Group 31s. I’ll figure it out when I get there I guess.

I’m launching the boat this Saturday if it doesn’t rain!

Dom

96TL":vbh1wm5b said:
Do your zincs corrode any faster since installing the battery charger?

I only installed the charger/maintainer last season, so I cannot say for sure, but I didn't see any additional wear on the zincs this year when she was out for the winter. The way my boat is set up, I don't anticipate any problems.

I'm actually more worried that one of the other boats in the marina (that is not as well maintained) will cause stray current problems. You're only as safe as your closest derelict neighbor. :evil:

The batteries I selected are the Lifeline AGM's.
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/

I believe I'll need to replace the battery trays even if I go with the G27's, so that being the case, I might just step up to G31's. The price difference between the two is minimal, but you're still looking at $500 for the pair (excluding tax). :shock:

However... these batteries should last 10 years with normal care, so when you look at it that way, it's not horrible. :wink:

Megabyte":3qas9061 said:
96TL":3qas9061 said:
Do your zincs corrode any faster since installing the battery charger?

I only installed the charger/maintainer last season, so I cannot say for sure, but I didn't see any additional wear on the zincs this year when she was out for the winter. The way my boat is set up, I don't anticipate any problems.

I'm actually more worried that one of the other boats in the marina (that is not as well maintained) will cause stray current problems. You're only as safe as your closest derelict neighbor. :evil:

The batteries I selected are the Lifeline AGM's.
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/

I believe I'll need to replace the battery trays even if I go with the G27's, so that being the case, I might just step up to G31's. The price difference between the two is minimal, but you're still looking at $500 for the pair (excluding tax). :shock:

However... these batteries should last 10 years with normal care, so when you look at it that way, it's not horrible. :wink:

I checked out Lifeline's website the other day. The Cabela's (Adventure Power) AGMs appear to have better specs, and cost less too. :wink:

I actually went to Cabela's last night and bought a pair of 27s. The 31s were a bit too heavy for my liking. I feel like my boat is already stern heavy. The 31s are probably unneccessary for me anyway, especially if I install an on-board charger. A fully charged pair of AGM 27s should be plenty!

One warning though, the Cabelas battery posts are funky! I hope I don't have to replace all my wire terminals.

Dom

Back