Be Careful Out There in Your Parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"hopefully, big lesson learned"

Not too sure what lesson you are referring to. A stock car legend, Fred Lorenzen who drove Fords for Holman-Moody in the 60's had this painted on every car's dash.

T.W.T.H.T.M...Think, What The Hell's The Matter

There's always something going on weather we're driving, fishing, or watching TV. Hopefully, the captain of your old Parker has learned to pay attention. Coulda' been a body recovery mission.

Mother Nature can get ugly in a heartbeat.
Stay safe out there guys.

The photo presents an interesting approach for a helm.. Facing Aft! :shock: :shock:

It -would- make it easier to back into a slip! :lol:

Maybe we should investigate a new project mod. Flip-flop helm. :shock: :shock:

Forward facing for normal running,,,, when you want to travel in reverse,,, just unlock the swinging helm, flip it over to the other side of the console, and facing aft, back up! 8) 8)

Bill:

I am GLAD you shared that photo!

To me it was a testament to just how strong a hull Parker makes and also to how one must ALWAYS be on watch to the see. Sorry you pulled your posts and photos and on behalf of CP, I apologize if others comments rubbed you the wrong way.

Dale

Dale-

I am sure I view the situation differently than others. The comments on here were not that bad. I would not have even considered putting the pic on THT.

I witnessed the whole event and could do little but call the CG. These guys were not fishing buds but I knew them. One is over 6' tall and had a red jacket, the other is much shorter. We could not see the shorter fellow and thought he had drowned. These guys had no money, credit cards, cell phones, etc and needed help. We spent the rest of the day with boat salvage and helping them with everything.

It ended as well as could be expected, the insurance co totaled the rig. I found the owner a 2004 21 SE with F150 that had only 150 hours and is like new at a great price.

He will be a very cautious captain from now on.

Some things just should not be put on the internet.

Bill,

I'm deeply sorry that you were offended by my comments. The posted photo depicted a serious consequence of a potentially tragic incident. It was at first difficult to even look at it. There were many comments on the continued need for vigilance, how it was a reminder that things can turn against you in a second, and how it is a lesson learned for all of us.

The most stunning part of the photo to me was the helm facing aft. It was such an odd visual that I felt compelled to comment. A weak attempt at humor was inappropriate and I sincerely apologize. I guess sometimes I react to potentially tragic situations by trying to lighten them up a bit.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

John

Well, at least no one was called a "nappy haired ho" ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

John-

It was more my lack of judgment than yours for posting it. Even though it happened last Sept, it is still pretty fresh in my mind, and I am not ready to see the humor in it yet.

Wild Bill":2jb5ui28 said:
One is over 6' tall and had a red jacket, the other is much shorter. We could not see the shorter fellow and thought he had drowned.

Were they not wearing life jackets? One can still buy a 32-foot yacht with not even an hour of boating experience on the water and cruise away. And some are complaining that the USCG boating course is now required and mandatory. Go figure. :shock:

JC":3evhqo5c said:
Were they not wearing life jackets?

Sure ... there is a LESSON here for ALL ... but let's be realistic! How many of us actually wear a PFD all the time on the boat? Could we? Yes. Should we? Not me - not all the time. Macho? Not one iota! Rather, it is a calculated 'risk' that I freely and personally take in MY pursuit of MY recreational pastime.

That said, I too remember all-too-well pulling 4 older men out of the drink in 52 degree water, at the start of a 2-mile rip. They weren't in the water minutes and 3 of the 4 froze up to the point where they could not swim. When one let go of the small cooler he was holding, he SANK right next to my boat before I could rescue him and as he went under the hull due to the tide, he banged his fists on the bottom of my hull.

Don't think to this day that I don't peridocially hear those fists banging for their life through my gelcoat ... :shock: ! We only got him to the surface by grabbing his coat with my boathook as he was 5' and going down, once he came out the other side of my boat, and he was going down like you see in movies - and yet this was real. With just one of my best friends Doug aboard, we ended up saving 3 of the 4 guys who went into the water. They would have most likely died from drowning or exposure ... as we were the ONLY other boat on the sound that day.

Now, as to the 4th man? He saved himself ... he made it to shore ... he flagged me down ... he pointed out to me the 3 other men still in the water ... for you see, he was the ONLY one wearing a lifejacket and he was the only one with the strength to swim not 25 YARDS or less to shore (being Plum Island Beach) in the waves created by the rip.

Yes, this indeedy made a LASTING impression upon me! I now have and wear an inflatable vest and/or belt PFD and I upgraded my boat's supply to include (6) Type 1 offshore vests, with the rest (8 or more) the cheaper Type 2 vests. Each vest, Type 1 or not, has a whistle and 2 of the type 1s (for the Captain & 1st Mate) also have signal strobes and flares in the pockets. I also bought a ditch bag and personal EPIRB, which is in the cockpit - ready to deploy, next to the throwable rescue device with 60' lead with its rode flaked - NOT coiled.

During the early season, my fishing friends and I ALWAYS were either the vest PFD or belt model - no exceptions or you don't board. Now I admit that during the heat of the late Spring and Summer, that I do not wear a PFD as a 'personal choice'. However, they are always at READY and not zipped into a stow-away bag. They are front and foremost of my accessible gear items. I do choose not to use a PFD 100% of the time and I sure hope that this can remain my personal choice.

On another note:

Humor and other comments can sometimes be mis-interpreted in cyber space and in these forums. I know John CBIGMA personally and I know that he meant no disrespect to the man who witnessed the event nor to the men who tragically lost their Parker boat to the experience.

I wish Classic Parker to remain a FRIENDLY forum where all inputs and opinions will be RESPECTED. Even I, on occasion, will disagree with your opinion, and may also agree to disagree with you ... and yet, I will still respect YOU and also have a beer with you once off the boat.

Please all respect my wishes that I do not wish this forum to bubble to the bottom of so many former once valued websites. Our signal-to-noise ratio is amongst the highest I have ever participated in ... and I will do my darndest to keep CP that way.

JC-

I wear a Mustang Hydrostatic Automatic PFD and recommended them to these guys before they went to Montauk. I also require a PFD be worn by everyone on my boat. I always had them on board but started wearing them all the time about a year ago. I thought I had been lucky long enough. These guys did not buy them and wore none.

I fish in NJ too. What percentage of fishermen on charter boats and private boats would you say wear PFD's in NJ while fishing?

I am not asking what you wear but what percentage of fishermen in NJ you see wearing them. From my ventures in NJ waters, I would say it is well under 50%.

Guess what the first thing these guys do now when the get on the boat?

That is why I posted the pic in the first place. I thought it may cause more guys to think about safety.

DaleH":31vdsokd said:
Please all respect my wishes that I do not wish this forum to bubble to the bottom of so many former once valued websites. Our signal-to-noise ratio is amongst the highest I have ever participated in ... and I will do my darndest to keep CP that way.

Roger that Cap! :wink:

As I said, the comments were not that offensive. The thread was just going in a direction I did not expect and I decided to remove the pic.

I have owned three Parkers and they are very tough boats. If run correctly they will handle some big stuff. But I think it is instructive to realize that the boats are not indestructible and caution must be the rule when in big water with a Parker or any other boat.

Someone asked me if I thought my 23' SE would have flipped in those waves. I had to think about it and came to the conclusion that if the boat was left sideways to 8' to 10' standing waves with motor in neutral, yes it would have probably flipped also. One positive thing I can state is that the boat floated with no indication that it was going to go down. The motor pulled the stern lower than the bow but the boat was very much afloat about an hour before it smashed on the rocks and ended up on the beach.

The incident started in about 20' of water. If the guys had not been able to make it back to the boat and hang on, I believe both would have drowned. They believe this also.

Wild Bill":jvz9xt4j said:
JC-

I wear a Mustang Hydrostatic Automatic PFD I always had them on board but started wearing them all the time about a year ago.

what percentage of fishermen in NJ you see wearing them. From my ventures in NJ waters, I would say it is well under 50%..

I also wear a Mustang Hydrostatic Automatic PFD all the time! It has become second nature, and without thought. I put it on before leaving the dock. The suspenders are pleasingly comfortable. Wearing a life vest is a requirement if you want to board my vessel.

My guess is less than 10% wear life preservers. And most refuse to put them on when facing possible danger. Not wearing a life vest is the main reason the USCG drowning statistics are off the chart.

Back