Best Choice of Radar for a 2120?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itguy

Reaction score
To All,

I realize this is about as generic a question as "what's the best concealed carry firearm?", but I thought I'd give it a try. I make short trips of 6 or 7 miles at most - long trips are rare. Mostly in and out of harbors along the coast of Maine. We get a lot of fog and obvious lobster boat activity. Want something small and inobtrusive - don't need a huge display. Reliability and quality are important.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations and experiences - good and bad.

Steve

can't tell you what's better but I have an older 24 mile JRC unit and never scanned futher than 1 mile in the shipping lanes of New York harbor in the fog or at night.

Looking for birds and fishing boat gathering is a different thing.

I have a garmin now, but 2 years ago I bought a Lowrance broadband for the budget reasons.

I do like the garmin better, but the HDS screen was fantastic for the money, and the radar never presented an issue.

I have been very pleased with my multifunction nav display as I can have the radar alone or overlay the chart on the radar which doubles my confidence in narrow quarters in fog. Also shows water temp, GPS speed, depth, etc. and has great choices for which screen I want or combinations of screens. Can have a depth plot on part of the screen, the chart in another and the radar in the third part of the screen. Cost more than just a radar but it gives me all I need on one screen that does not block my vision out the front window.

I used (all Raymarine for mine but you have other brand choices) C-70 display, DSM 300 digital sounder, triducer, an 18 inch 2 KW radome scanner, and a 125 satellite differential GPS sensor...................Pete

Attachments

• Parker, radar.jpg
    Parker, radar.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Raymarine display (Small).jpg
    Raymarine display (Small).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Raymarine multiple display (Small).jpg
    Raymarine multiple display (Small).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Raymarine color display (Small).jpg
    Raymarine color display (Small).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 138
I love Garmin for my chart plotter, but for radar... nothing beats Furuno.

i have read great reviews about the new Navico broadband radar and close range target discrimination. However, I have a garmin GMR18HD and it works very well for what I do and am satisfied. I just need to add another screen so I dont have 3 seperate functions that I am trying to squeeze in on a 10.5" screen when running at night.

we eliminated that problem with the twin 15 inch 5k series :p

Attachments

• reg33.jpg
    reg33.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 111
Back