Best Umbrella Rig for Stripers?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnkn

Reaction score
What are the best umbrella rigs for stripers? I have a large assortment of 4-9" shad baits. Rigging and weight tips appreciated. I'll be running 50lb braid with a 50lb fluorocarbon leader. Thanks

If trolling in the Summer, I do not run umbrellas but instead use tandem rigs with a mixed spread of Storm shads, bucktails, and Tony spoons, or use spreader bars when trolling. During the Spring and Fall when the big rockfish are in, I use a spread including singles, tandems, or umbrellas. I use four arm medium and large size umbrellas with parachute and 9" shad on a 18" to 24" leader with 6" teasers. Some folks run small umbrellas off of their planer boards.

Attach the umbrella directly to the inline weight which is attached to the braid with a coastlock swivel. As the Spring season moves into May you may want to downsize some of the shads from 9" to 6".

Thank you Sir. What's a ball-park weight for the inline weight? thanks

The use of varying inline weights, varying parachute weights, and letting out varying lengths of line affect the depth of your lure at a given speed. You use less weight in the Spring because the fish are higher in the water column. Use more weight in the Summer. I suggest you attend a seminar on trolling by Wayne Morgan or Charlie Sisson or fish with someone who has trolling experience.

This is my summer go-to set up for trolling for strippers, if you need any more info feel free to PM me. Good luck mike

Attachments

• 20160629114208215.pdf
    87.5 KB · Views: 75
I have a couple of 'spoon umbrella' rigs that I've used successfully in summer, and they catch blues too.
4-arm umbrella rig with 4" spoons. Very light and they have a lot of flash.

Back