Best way to charge batteries ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnkn

Reaction score
What's the best way to charge my boat's batteries while they remain installed? Should I turn both selectors to the off position and charge one at a time? Put the selectors to "both" and put the charger leads on a single battery? Thanks

If your using a portable charger isolate each battery being charged (put in the off position). You do not want to charge in the “both” position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would install an onboard battery charger and flush mount the outlet. The leads are always hooked up to the batteries. You just plug in your extension cord to the outlet. Much easier than manually hooking up to batteries. I leave my battery switch off, but I use an onboard waterproof charger ( Promariner ) that is not designed to be used while you are using power. If you want to use your batteries while you’re charging then you will need to look at the Promariner ProNautic version. They are more robust, but not waterproof so you’ll want to install it in the cabin. Most of my friends including myself just use the waterproof versions since we install them up high and dry in the bilge area. Just depends what you need.

An onboard charger is a great addition to a boat. I’ve owned 3 vessels in the past 25 years and my current one is the first with an onboard charger. I seriously wonder how I did without for so many years.

Thanks all, this is a one time charge before launching. I left one of the batteries on over the winter and now it's down perhaps from the cabin co2 detector. I've got a couple days of work to do before launching and will take my charger and generator down and out it on charge while I'm working. Take care

Probably an obvious comment, but if your batteries are not sealed then make sure they have the right amount of water in them before charging. Always use distilled water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just installed this unit for cabin battery bank but this pic is after charger installed but not final install
878681e7e85b8cd3345fe89bddf72ac1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

i have a 23 se cc in season (may-november) i leave on a trailer at my house on the cape. sometimes it sits for a couple weeks. when i get up there, if its been a week or more, i have good quality but very simple trickle chargers i’ll clip onto each battery - optimally the evening before i plan to head out. i can’t remember the brand but its a well known popular brand.

i have battery switches off and clip the trickle charger leads strait to each battery. been doing this fir years w/ my group 31s. zero issues. never a power issue - even after a long day running two screens, live well, radio, charging a cell phone or two, etc...

i actually use the same trickle chargers over the winter while the boat is in storage.

Any wet cell battery should be charged first then the electrolyte level should be checked. If you fill first you will bubble over causing an acid spill.

Brent":3fj6w6o6 said:
Good advice.

I check the batteries for low levels of electrolyte before charging to prolong their usable life span . If low then fill and charge. The fluid level needs to be above the plates to avoid damage

M2cw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The water levels will rise after charging. The plates should be covered; but, there needs to be room for the water level to rise.

Bmoore":10i7ahsa said:
I would install an onboard battery charger and flush mount the outlet. The leads are always hooked up to the batteries. You just plug in your extension cord to the outlet. Much easier than manually hooking up to batteries. I leave my battery switch off, but I use an onboard waterproof charger ( Promariner ) that is not designed to be used while you are using power. If you want to use your batteries while you’re charging then you will need to look at the Promariner ProNautic version. They are more robust, but not waterproof so you’ll want to install it in the cabin. Most of my friends including myself just use the waterproof versions since we install them up high and dry in the bilge area. Just depends what you need.

Question - 1) Why do you turn the battery switch to "off" while charging? And 2) Why should you not use power while you are charging? Thanks.

Bluefish....Technically you do not have to turn the switch OFF. But you do not want a load drawing more than the battery charger is putting Out.

It Always a good idea to turn your Master switch OFF when the vessel is not in use. It's a secure feeling to know....Nothing has stray current on it....But here's the thing...It also stops electrolysis. Which is a Bad thing. A good examples of that is a Trolling Motor. No where in the install instructions does it say install a Master ON/Off switch....It does talk about a 60amp breaker.....Yes you could unplug the TM from it's plug......But just having the item energized will cause bad corrosion...I have pix's of the torpedo shape with the Powdercoating all flaking off due to leaving the switch in the ON position for a long length of time and the customer was instructed.....Not using it....TURN it OFF!

Back to charging the battery. It's simple....Turn the Master switch OFF and charge the batteries individually.....Unless...You have a multi bank charger.....Then you can charge them all at one time. If buying a charger....Get a charger with at least 10amps per bank. Those 6amp chargers can screw you if your battery is deeply discharged and your going fishing the next day....This pertains more to charging TM batteries than the House & Start Batteries.

Which now brings up another subject.

With getting Rid of the Perko switch....Which by the way...Yea....you have 2 batteries, but you do Not have a dedicated Start and dedicated Hose battery with.

Anyway the installation of a BEP Cluster pretty much eliminates any need for charging those batteries....Unless...You let the boat sit for 3 months at a time.

warthog5":20ojruhp said:
Bluefish....Technically you do not have to turn the switch OFF. But you do not want a load drawing more than the battery charger is putting Out.

It Always a good idea to turn your Master switch OFF when the vessel is not in use. It's a secure feeling to know....Nothing has stray current on it....But here's the thing...It also stops electrolysis. Which is a Bad thing. A good examples of that is a Trolling Motor. No where in the install instructions does it say install a Master ON/Off switch....It does talk about a 60amp breaker.....Yes you could unplug the TM from it's plug......But just having the item energized will cause bad corrosion...I have pix's of the torpedo shape with the Powdercoating all flaking off due to leaving the switch in the ON position for a long length of time and the customer was instructed.....Not using it....TURN it OFF!

Back to charging the battery. It's simple....Turn the Master switch OFF and charge the batteries individually.....Unless...You have a multi bank charger.....Then you can charge them all at one time. If buying a charger....Get a charger with at least 10amps per bank. Those 6amp chargers can screw you if your battery is deeply discharged and your going fishing the next day....This pertains more to charging TM batteries than the House & Start Batteries.

With getting Rid of the Perko switch....Which by the way...Yea....you have 2 batteries, but you do Not have a dedicated Start and dedicated Hose battery with.

Anyway the installation of a BEP Cluster pretty much eliminates any need for charging those batteries....Unless...You let the boat sit for 3 months at a time.

Thank you for the detailed reply!!

warthog5":24vm6zuy said:

I actually have another question. I understand you are not charging anything by drawing a higher load than the battery charger is putting out.

But If I am drawing a high load wouldn't it be better to at least have the batteries hooked up to the charger rather than not? Instead of just drawing down the battery without being on the charger even if it is putting out less than the draw?

OK Give up the beans.:) .....Are you trying to over think this or are you actually doing something?

2 things will cause your scenario......A Trolling Motor [TM] or a stereo amp.

I actually do know of a boat that has this problem....But his deal is different.

He has 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag. Not enough battery bank and no where to expand....Not enough charging system to get ahead.....31 Ocean Master....twin 300 Suzuki's..... It's my sons buddy.....He can't figure out how other boats can run all this stuff and he can't?.........My son told him......cause their running 4 engines....which can put out 120amps from their alt's easy.

His boat maintains if the motors are running, but only takes 15 -20min to kill batteries if they are not.

amp's and tuna tube pumps are a BIG culprit along with the standard rest of the stuff.

Back to you:......Drawing more than a charger can put out is Hard on a charger.

Back