Bilge Pump Hose

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpeg

Reaction score
Sorry if I am missing finding it here, but could someone tell me where to find the proper hose to use for bilge pump? Thanks!

Well My Parker was factory equipped with this hose.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/shields-r ... 33_001_011

214900.jpg

It's a good hose and I have switched to using it on other boats. It has a plastic wire in it and doesn't rust.

I use to use the braided Poly

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/shields-r ... 33_001_014

328999.jpg

It's a good hose, but can Not make as tight of radius's , as it will kink and that cuts flow down.

Then there is the Plastic statemented hose that is sold Everywhere as "Bilge hose".

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/shields-r ... 33_001_009

447193.jpg

DO NOT USE THIS STUFF! If you have it on your boat.....Get rid of it. It's cheap and it splits.

You wouldn't want to need to dewater your boat and the pump is running but the water can't get out due to a split in the hose.
I've seen New stuff split in 2years.

The hose in Bobbys first photo is what I used.
The helix is on the outside. The inside of the hose is smooth.

Attachments

• DSCN0014.jpg
    DSCN0014.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 360
Thanks Guys! The Shields rubber hose was what I was looking for. I was having trouble finding a supplier since I did not know who made it. You Guys are the best!

I now have 1 1/4" hose and fittings. The sizes offered are 1 1/8" and 1 1/2", Will I be ok with 1 1/2" ? Or perhaps I can get the 1 1/8" over the fittings?
Also, do you know what size hose is used on the baitwell drain? (Parker 21SE) I want to change the thru-hull fitting to SS.

I'm having problems with the clear/black spriral hose, Shields 141. Hose is developing small cracks/tears between the wire. It's about two years old.

Part of my bilge run is exposed to sunlight between the rigging tube in the corner and gunnel cap. I'm not sure if the UV is degrading it, but that's where the cracks are.

Anybody else have this problem?

BradH":kcsyeh5l said:
I'm having problems with the clear/black spriral hose, Shields 141. Hose is developing small cracks/tears between the wire. It's about two years old.

Part of my bilge run is exposed to sunlight between the rigging tube in the corner and gunnel cap. I'm not sure if the UV is degrading it, but that's where the cracks are.

I do not because my hoses are contained in the transom space.
I think you answered your own question. UV damage.

I found 1 1/4" Shields 141 at PBS Boat Store. I had to buy a 50' roll, but it cost about the same as 15' of 1 1/8" from West Marine.

The standard size is 1 1/8in.......Not 1 1/4in.

Look up your pumps....... larger like 1500 or 2000 are 1 1/8in

smaller like 500 or 800's are 3/4in

warthog5":3g7c55ci said:
The standard size is 1 1/8in.......Not 1 1/4in.

Look up your pumps....... larger like 1500 or 2000 are 1 1/8in

smaller like 500 or 800's are 3/4in

Thanks, the pumps came with 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" fittings and I used the larger. At the time I used vacuum hose (as in swimming pool). While it is flexable, I decided I wanted to replace it with the proper hose.

And what size are the thru hull fittings? I bet they are 1 1/8

As I said....1 1/4 for this is not the norm.

I installed new 1 1/4" SS thru hull fittings along with the new pumps. I added a second pump and thru hull on the starboard side, and moved the thru hull on the port side as high as I could. Bigger is better, Yes?

Moving the fitting higher sounds good at first......Until you think about it.

The hose needs to be high, but the exit needs to be lower..... This is to keep outside water from shipping back in the boat from the outside.

I found these fittings with a 90 built in that makes this perfect. Should be a link on my Project page.

100_4555.jpg

I did not have the 90 degree fittings, so this is how I rigged a weather loop into my hoses.

Attachments

• DSCN0009.jpg
    DSCN0009.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 212
Back