Bilge pump platform

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96TL

Reaction score
Today I noticed some cracks in my bilge pump platform. There is a crack on each side. Anybody else have this problem? Is that platform all glass? Anything to rot in there? It looks like they might just be gelcoat cracks.

Here are the pics I took today. I only took one side only. The other side is almost identical.

Attachments

• Bilge2008-1.JPG
    Bilge2008-1.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 890
  • Bilge2008-2.JPG
    Bilge2008-2.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 890
So then I got thinking maybe those cracks are there because because I installed heavy twin bilge pumps. So I found some pics from last year when I first installed the pumps, and you can just barely see the cracks already forming!

These pics are from 2007. The cracks are hard to see, but they are there!

Attachments

• Bilge2007-1.jpg
    Bilge2007-1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 885
  • Bilge2007-2.jpg
    Bilge2007-2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 885
  • Bilge2007-3.jpg
    Bilge2007-3.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 885
Yes, that block is most likely cored with wood. If the crack is all the way through the glass (which there probably isn't much of), that wood can get saturated and rot. The good news is, it's really not a structural component so you're in no immediate danger.

My guess is that water got past your bilge pump mounting screws either froze or caused the wood to swell . That in turn put pressure on the glass and fractured it.

There's two ways you can fix:

1. During the offseason, remove the pumps and drill a bunch of holes in the block. Put a heat lamp on it for several days/weeks and it should dry out just fine. Then fill the holes with penetrating epoxy. Once you done that, grind out the cracks and reglass with small alternating pieces of 3/4 oz. mat and 6 oz. cloth to build back to the original thickness. Gelcoat and reinstall you pumps.

2. Remove everything and replace the block. That's what I did on my 25' Grady when I found the same type of crack.

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_69141.jpg

IMG_69151.jpg

IMG_69161.jpg

IMG_69461.jpg

IMG_69451.jpg

IMG_7003.jpg

IMG_7004.jpg

Option 2 is much more labor intensive, but gives better peace of mind IMHO. :) Let me know if you want more details.

gw204":18odzgrs said:
My guess is that water got past your bilge pump mounting screws either froze or caused the wood to swell . That in turn put pressure on the glass and fractured it.

When I installed those bilge pumps, I filled the leftover holes from the stock bilge pump with West System epoxy. First I drilled the holes out slightly to clean out any debris, then injected them with neat epoxy to "wet out" the hole, then injected them again with thickened epoxy to prevent running. I even went as far as gel coating over the old holes after the West System cured.

When the holes for the new pumps were drilled, I oversized them purposely. Again, I injected them with neat epoxy, and then with thickened epoxy. Once cured, I drilled the hole to the correct size for the screw right in the center of the epoxy plug. As an extra precaution (unnecessary), the screws were coated with Life Caulk before being threaded into the epoxy.

Was my method overkill for bilge pumps? Yes, definitely! But my bilge always has standing water in it, and I wanted to make sure that block was protected. I have no idea what caused it to crack now, but it wasn't my doing.

If the wood is saturated, it must be from the mounting screws installed at the factory for the stock bilge pump. I took delivery in 2006, and didn’t upgrade the pumps till 2007. That water had from early March to early December to saturate the wood.

It’s definitely possible, because based on my 2007 pics above, the cracks were already showing before I even upgraded the pumps. I just never noticed them.

Argh! :twisted:

Nothing to worry about..... just a small piece of marine grade plywood that is glassed over to be used to screw components into. The hull is all glass under there. I've gone all the way through it with my transducer install.

grouperjim":12db2d1h said:
Nothing to worry about..... just a small piece of marine grade plywood that is glassed over to be used to screw components into.
Agreed! I'd even bet $$ the crack you see is just in the 'putty' ...

What Brain stated to drill out, wet-out, and fix would be a simple repair, you don't need to go into replacement.

I'm just going to leave it for now I guess. It just pisses me off to look at it everytime I open the bilge hatch. It's obvious it grew larger this year. I wonder what it will look like next year, or even a few years down the road.

Do you guys think its worth just grinding down the crack and filling it with some thickened gelcoat? Or would I be wasting my time?

96TL":3tfrs361 said:
Do you guys think its worth just grinding down the crack and filling it with some thickened gelcoat? Or would I be wasting my time?

I personally think gelcoat is a waste of time, unless anal about cosmetics. I'd grind it out in seconds, take a 1/4" slice of Devcon 2-part epoxy stick, and would force into place, knife off excess, sand when done. Done!

t_21978.jpg

IMHO all boaters should keep a < $10 tube of this stuff on hand. You can cut off as little or as much as you need, you simply kneed it together to mix it ... and it cures even if underwater! I find it cures as hard and as tough as Marine-tex, which I do NOT use anymore, as their mixing regime is worthless for small amounts.

You live where it freezes, so IF the plywood is damp, it will swell every winter and crack, no matter if you make it pretty again. But then again, if you grind out the crack and fill it in, and it does not crack, then you will know the plywood IS NOT wet.

For me, I know the purpose of the plywood is to hold the components in place. As long as it is doing its job, I would not worry about it. YEARS down the road if the wood rots and the components are no longer secure, then I would deal with it.

grouperjim":qf8hlibx said:
For me, I know the purpose of the plywood is to hold the components in place. As long as it is doing its job, I would not worry about it. YEARS down the road if the wood rots and the components are no longer secure, then I would deal with it.

I agree.

I went to look at it again tonight. I can't really tell how deep the cracks are. I could definitely get my nail in it though.

I took some clearer pics too. Got both sides this time.

Attachments

• Bilge2008-3.JPG
    Bilge2008-3.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 737
  • Bilge2008-4.JPG
    Bilge2008-4.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 737
  • Bilge2008-5.JPG
    Bilge2008-5.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 737
Daleh,
What do you not like about marine-tex ? I'll have get some of the devcon stuff anyway.

Also, I'll have to clean my bilge and see if I have any cracks. I never looked for them or noticed in my '90. Everything is still attached and the pumps still work.

That last photo leads me to believe that the crack is in the epoxy putty holding the plate to the hull...not in the resin/gelcoat covering of the plate itself. If the gelcoat on the hull wasn't roughed up enough before they puttied in the plate, there could be a lack of mechanical bonding.

As others have said, I believe this is cosmetic, and does not involve any structural problems.

Dave

aka

I am going to leave it alone until it becomes a problem, if ever.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Dom

Hi Dom. I have a 2120SC and that bilge pump plate is 1/2 inch ply wood glassed over. There is a void under the plywood. I had voids in the glass and noticed a brown ooze from some of the holes. The piece is not structural and you can leave it or drill some holes and use a a hair dryer and then epoxy to fill in the holes. Roughen up the glass and glass over everything.
Ray

I guess I'm not alone. I have one also on the rear of the port battery platform. A simple straight crack near the top edge. I thought probably from the wood flexing below it with the heavy battery on top. I like Dale's idea the best. I have a few sticks of that kneadable epoxy laying around. A quick pass with a rough rasp and put some epoxy on it... :lol:

BuddahB
You need to dry out the wood first....I used a hole saw and cut a hole about the size of the hair dryer tube at the forward end of the platform and then some half inch holes at the back. Lots of water came out.

Ray

Back