Bilge smell

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but do you mean that there is a smell coming from the bilge or the cuddy has a smell from maybe being closed up.

They can get that way if closed up and no ventilation for a while. but if it is getting that odor from the bilge there are bilge cleaners on the market that you can use. I've poured it into the bilge and left it in while using the boat for a few day, let it loosen up all the gunk. then vacuum it out with a wet vac. Also check the cuddy for damp spots in the carpet make sure you have not developed any places where rain water has gotten in

Is it the moldy smell or the dead fish smell?
Bilge cleaner works well as does bleach and water if its the fish smell.
Definetly check for wet carpet in the cabin if it is the moldy smell.

When I want to freshen my bilge, especially during the spring, I'll use Simple Green and water (sometimes with some bleach added).
Mix it in a 5 gal bucket and dump it into the bilge hatch under the pilothouse and let it sit.
Next time I take the boat out and she jumps onto plane, the solution moves aft and the bilge pump gets rid of it.

If you are trailering, you could do the same thing.
Drive around with the solution in the bilge for awhile, then remove the garboard drain plug.

Megabyte":3hfjquoo said:
When I want to freshen my bilge, especially during the spring, I'll use Simple Green and water

. . .....I just performed my once a year cabin refresher with Simple Green. . .. ...I even wet the carpet...spray with Simple Green, and gently scrub.. ..then rinse/blast it with the hose. Bye bye dirt, mold, and odors! The rinse off goes in the bilge and cleans that too! Been doing for years with a few different boats. ......works great. .....smells great. . ...and no....I have never ruined carpet, paint, or anything. .. ....I do put a fan in the cabin overnight to dry everything.

When I first got my boat it had that smell in there. I wiped everything down with bleach and let it sit wide open for as long as I could on a breezy day. Smell has never come back. What I do now is hang one of those damp rid bags from my hatch on the inside everytime I leave my boat. That keeps all the moisture out and it has a pleasant smell next time you open her up.

For bilge cleaning I like Joy 'cause it lathers in salt water. Then I go to the Dollar Store, get a bottle of fabric softener and douse the bilge with half of it. It has a mild pleasant smell.

Back