Binding shifter mechanism help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewdawg12

Reaction score
Hello, Having a problem with my shifter. I have a 2520 sou'wester with rear steering. The rear shifter works fine but the front shifter his hard to put in gear. actually it would engage fwd but not reverse.when it wouldnt go in reverse I could go to the rear control and engage it the rest of the way. I disonnected the cabe in the front and the shifter handle moves nice and smooth. the cable is completely out now and doesnt seem to be binding at all. so I dont know what the problem is. cable?? Any help would be awesome thanks.

thanks markman, I'm not very familiar with these cables so I dont know how easy they should slide back and forth. :?

Rewdawg12,
Had this issue two years ago. Turned out my cables were old and stretched. Needed to force it when shifting gears. Similar to you, I would go to the rear to get it into gear. Put it off the repair for too long and wound up breaking my nuetral safety switch. Of course, this didn't happen at my slip. I had to replace all cables. I went with Teleflex TFExtreme Cables. They're smooth as silk. You can do it yourself but there is a lot of labor involved. Espesially with the rear helm. Didn't have the time to fool around so I had the marina do it. Not cheap but worth every penny. I believe this problem is more common with twin stations.

Good Luck.

FYI, read your cables ... as the LAST 2 DIGITS of the number you find on them indicates the length. I have (3) sets of NEW Teleflex Xtreme cables I can let go at a good price, believe they are 19', 21', and 24' or somewhere around there ...

Thanks, I have morse cables. Do you know if teleflex has the same ends as morse? Will I need adapter kit or anything? The one that goes from front to rear steer is 192" 16ft. I think I will take your advice and just change the cables. They could be original for all I know and I dont want to break the switch. Thanks for your help and time, I really appreciate it. :oops: I was just thinking, a stretched cable would make it hard to go in gear in one direction or the other depending on how its hooked up. Thanks again

Those Xtremes I have might be 17', I'll check. They usually run $40-60 each and I could sell for $50/pair plus shipping ... IF the length would work for you.

I'll check this afternoon. A 17 will work for a 16 ft application?

I had the same problem on mine. Took it to the dealer and was embarrased to find out the front control had 0 grease on the shifter. Once greased all worked fine. You may have already checked that but thought I would throw it out there anyway as I was surprised how badly it was binding and then instantly after the lube......perfect.

All is well, found a cable locally and adjusted the cable stop a tad. Took out yesterday for the first time and all worked perfect. Thanks for all the help and advice. :D now I have to fix my pulled pedestal seat bolts. lots of info on that too. thanks again.

Back