Binoculars

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Jim

Reaction score
Does anyone use image stabilizing binoculars? Will they offset the roll in your boat?

Capt. Jim":e7kph9r2 said:
Does anyone use image stabilizing binoculars? Will they offset the roll in your boat?

I have the Cannon (8X30 I believe) and they help a lot.. but they are certainly not going to offset the roll. These were a gift so I can't complain and they are certainly a wonderfull thing to have.

For 1K you might want to look at these!!!!!!!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-stabi ... 14x40.html

I have a pair of binos made by Steiner for West Marine. They have a lighted compass, but are not stabilized. They work. Not sure any gizmo can stabilize out the roll from the chop.

Dave

aka

At first I thought that the $1,000.00 binocs were way out of line but then I saw that they qualified for free shipping!!!!! :lol:

I liked to jump past binoculars and go right to this...

FLIR-Navigator-item.jpg

http://mid-shore-electronics.com/FLIR_t ... agers.html

I think it might coat more than $1k though. :)

I just saw that FLIR on a fish poaching show on the History Channel. Unarmed government guys vs. poachers. Very cool.

Parkerman":1cpfxds8 said:
Unarmed government guys vs. poachers.

Not sure that I like those odds! :shock:
Poachers are almost always armed.

Image stabilizing binoculars are great- when on a stable surface. They are really only intended to eliminate the shakes that people normally have. The roll and chop motions of a boat are more than the electronics can handle. But I love my Canon binocs. They let me know exactly what sort of commotion is out there beyond the surf so I can launch the kayak or plan for the next day. Or check out the Parker that's out there when I should have been.

I just got the Fujinon TechnoStabi 14 power stabilized binoculars and I am very pleased with how well they work. I guess it depends on how much roll you are receiving but on 2' light chop I was able to read a marker buoy at over a mile away. Tun off the stabilizers and you can't make out any detail on the buoy. They work end of story.

Back