Bizzare Question...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrantley2320

Reaction score
Has this ever happened to you...(probably not!)...
I went to put Startron in my fuel tank last night around dusk, and the little white foam insert under the cap fell into the fuel hole. Doh!! #*$% Murphy strikes again!! How did that happen you ask? Well I was standing on the ground and placed the bottle up on the gunwale. I removed the cap and set it down on the gunwale. I turned the bottle over to start pouring and caught a glimpse of a little white disk track right down the hole. From my vantagepoint at ground level, I couldn't see that the little white foam disk had unseated itself from the underside of the cap and was stuck to the top of the bottle. I've been ruminating about whether this is an issue to be concerned about or not. My thought is that since it floats it won't cause me any problems; it will just float around in my fuel tank forever. On the other hand, maybe it could get sucked up against the fuel pick-up and block the flow of fuel. Anyone have any words of wisdom they could share on this? Does anyone know if there is a praticle way to fish the disk out of the tank? I looked under both of my deck plates and it looks like there are two possible points of entry. One is via the nipple where the fuel filler hose attaches to the tank. The other is via the hole where the sending unit screws onto the top of the tank. Thanks in advance for any advice, and remember to check the top of the bottle before pouring!!
Best regards,
-David
2005 Parker 2320 - "Tunatango"

This wouldn't happen if you would use Yamaha approved RingFree. :lol: (jk)

IMO, not a problem. If there is some ethenoyl in the fuel, maybe it will disolve the seal.

Just two thoughts

1. Next time you use the product, retain the piece of foam and put it into a small glass jar of the same type of fuel you normally use. Watch it for a few weeks to see exactly how much it degrades. Then decide whether or not it might be an issue.

2. The only hair brain idea I can think of would be that if after observing the foam still floating in the glass jar, then more than likely it is still floating in the tank. If you fill the tank you may some how be able to suck it out with a hand pump.

Interesting situation.

"Mango Tango" 2006 2320
jim

While I agree that it might be a concern, the fact that you know it is in there means that you will forever be vigilant. :)

I think you'll be fine. :wink:

If it were me...I wouldn't sleep right until I knew it was out.

Step 1...see if it floats.

Step 2...if it floats....remove tank sending unit and using a small mirror and flashlight, try to locate the piece bobbing on the surface of the fuel.
Step 3...somehow coax the piece to the sending unit hole and grab or suck it out with something.

Step 2...if it doesn't float...remove tank sending unit and see if you can see it lying on the bottom of the tank somewhere.
Step 3...grab or suck it out with something.

I'm sure you're not the first person to do something like this. Heck, I had a pine needle fall into my gas fill. Luckily, it got stuck and the fill/hose junction and I was able to reach in with a long screw driver that I wrapped some tape on the tip (sticky side out) and fetch it.

Fishfactory,

You gotta use both Ringfree and Starttron. One to keep carbon down and the other to offset the impact of dreaded ethanol.

I came VERY close to having the exact thing happen to me this weekend. Startron needs to find a way to attach the sealer to the top better!

youll probably be fine.... chances are that the gas will dissolve the foam, and the gunk will come out in the filters.

on the other hand, i almost had the foil seal on the top of a 2 gallon jug of Yamalube oil (2strokes... cant live with em, thats about it :lol: ) fall into the oil fill resivoir.... THAT wouldve meant BIG problems :shock: :shock:

Back