Black Drum Blues....

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
I've had a rough start this year getting a black drum but I finally landed one yesterday.

My friend Woody says black drum don't like big pretty boats. From what I see Carolina Skiffs raise more black drum than Parkers.

Here is the report:

Karen and I left Willis Wharf at 1130 AM Saturday to get set up by noon for the projected 1 PM bite. This fishing forecast came from Woody Gaskins who has been catching a lot of drum in this spot. Thursday he caught 7 of them and based on the time of the incoming tide when the bite was on he told us Friday that Saturday the bite would be 1 PM……

Turns out he was off by about 10 minutes.

We were fishing beside him when we saw his son Hunter start a long fight with a big one. In the middle of Hunter’s fight they had a small one hooked up and netted it easily. For at least 20 minutes or more Hunter was pulling on what looked like cinder blocks. Finally Woody got the fish in the boat.

We had nothing but sharks.

About 230 Woody and his son and brother in law packed it in. They swung on by to show us the big one and I took this picture. Right after they left I hooked one and got it in the boat. After many trips feeding the sharks we got a black drum.

Earlier around 130 I felt for sure I hooked a drum and for some unknown reason I broke a line (new 20 lb mono). As it let go I managed to punch myself in the face with my cranking hand.

I guess it just took Woody to come close enough for some of his good luck to rub off.

Woody is at the helm while Tony holds up the fish for Hunter.

The drum are just starting to pick up.

Richard

1st2007drum.jpg

Huntersfish.jpg

B-Faithful":1rixs8dj said:
not the big ones... Sometimes the big ones are filled with worms.

Yep. Did the Carolina Skiff guys release that drum alive?
Is it dead in the pic?
Drum are bottom feeders and will often sound and cut line on oyster shell and rock. Check your line again, maybe cut?

They kept the big one... which in my opinion are just as good as the small ones to eat. Even my 19.5 lb drum had some worms in the tail... they are easy to see and cut out and if you don't they cook up just fine.

I'm guessing the big drum was around 70 lbs....

70 pounds! :shock:
That has to be fun pulling in 2 concrete blocks (that fight back)! :)

Went 'druming' Monday(5/14) and Thursday(5/17), between the three boats we had 17 boated fish, lost a couple of big dogs. Released all fish, but had 11 citations up to 90+ lbs and 55 inches. Caught them on the inside of the Cabbage Patch in between 21ft and 18ft of water.

Back