blending of ethanol and non-ethanol fuel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fphillips

Reaction score
Our community on the eastern shore of Md. has a marina and a decision has been made to convert from ethanol to non-ethanol fuel. A local marine mechanic has stated in our local newspaper that a mixing of the fuels in a boat's fuel tank could cause engine problems. Is there any validity to his statement?

fphillips":j6y3wxqx said:
A local marine mechanic has stated in our local newspaper that a mixing of the fuels in a boat's fuel tank could cause engine problems. Is there any validity to his statement?

From what I am told, the two fuels should not be mixed, though I am not an expert in these matters.

I believe Boat US published an article when E10 formulations began giving folks with early fiberglass fuel tanks (Bertram for example) fits because the ethanol ate away at the tanks and caused motors to be ruined. They also cited older boats with aluminum tanks that had accumulated a layer of varnish over the years. Ethanol dissolves that varnish, and it ends up in the motor if 10 micron fuel filters are not used.

If it were me, I would not use mixed fuel. I successfully made the switch to E10 several years ago and I would not want to introduce another unknown into my fuel stream.

As always, YMMV. :wink:

FishFactory":11xyag4d said:
Where's the problem ?

I believe it has to do with the mixing of MTBE and ethanol. Apparently, the two don't play nice together.
I'm searching for the references so I can be a little more sure of what I remembered reading. Have not found it yet.

Back