BLOCK ISLAND

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOST TIME

Reaction score
Taking the family to montauk this week. I will be taking a trip to block island with my boat. I was wondering which is better old harbor or new harbor. I would also like any input in things to do and places to eat. Any advice would be appreciated.

Depends on what you are looking to do. If it is a day trip, Old Harbor. If you are staying overnight, New Harbor. Take a walk or rent a moped to go see Moheghan Bluffs near the SE light house. Can't go wrong with Ballards for food and fun.

I like new harbor much better than old. The ferries from the mainland (where I live) come into OH and it is always hustle and bustle there. You will be better off in NH and just walk to downtown to all the restaurants and tourist spots. Lot to do there and some of the best striper fishing around. Go to the Oar while you are there, good food. Have fun!

I used the Block Island chart for the plotting and charting portion of my CG exam.
Never been there, but after working that chart for 2 weeks in class and during exam prep, I feel like I know the place. :)

Oh... and I aced that portion of the exam. 8)

Great place!!!! :D :D 8)

02BISouthwest.jpg

Lost Time, in Bryan's picture the Great Salt Pond is the body of water on the left and that is New Harbor and to the right of the picture is Old Harbor where you see the boats leaving from.

Great Picture Bryan except you missed the Lighthouse

If it's your first time to Block, def go to New Harbor. I go fishing off Block Island almost every weekend. New Harbor is easier to ancor or get a slip, and not all that far from downtown. The pond is much calmer, and the people are more relaxed. Old Harbor turns into a huge party rrreal quick. Block is awesome.

With the beautiful pictures of your boat I should have known that you didn't take them, my apoligies Bryan

Guys thanks for the great advice. I went over monday morning with my family and tied up at paynes marina. I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice family boating trip to head over to block island. My wife and son had a ball. I could not believe how clean the water was at the beach. We rented a jeep to see the whole island. Old harbor was crowded but the rest of the island quite relaxed. I recommend the Narragansett for breakfast food and coffee were great and what a view.

The next time you go over or if you ever anchor in New Harbor you can dive for Quahogs (Hardshell Clams) for a great clam chowder. When I owned my sailboats we used to go over about 5 times a year and raft up and go diving for clams and cook them up and one boat would always make a big pot of chowder, yum!

Back