Boat Fishing License for Chesapeake Bay / MD Potomac River?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnkn

Reaction score
Not sure why our world is so difficult these days. When I purchased my last boat in MD some years ago I purchased a single, annually renewable boat license and stickers to allow all non-paying guests the ability to fish the Bay, Potomac/Patuxant Rivers etc.

Just went on the Md DNR site to see what I'm in store for this time and found this:

Consolidated Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Boat License allows everyone on board a vessel used for pleasure to fish in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries and the state waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Atlantic coastal bays and tributaries in lieu of individual licenses. However, these individuals must register with the Department (see below). A special complimentary Bay & Coastal sport fishing license, which includes recreational crabbing, will be issued to the boat owner purchasing this license. The $50 Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing Decal is NOT valid as a Recreational Crabbing Boat License (though the purchaser of this decal is given one complimentary individual recreational crabbing license).

FREE Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Registration Unless individually licensed, registration is required for MD. waterfront property owners, those fishing in a designated free fishing area, and passengers on a vessel displaying a Boat License (decal) from MD,VA, or PRFC. In the Potomac River a registration is required for passengers on a vessel displaying a Boat License decal from MD, VA, or PRFC, and for the owner or owner’s nonpaying guest fishing from private real property or an attached pier in the tidal waters of the Potomac River.

So anyone and everyone I invite to fish must first register? I see my neighbor at 5pm and ask if he wants to go out with me and he has to first register? AND, I have a party one day and people want to fish from my pier at my home and they also have to register?

Unless I'm missing something, I have no words. Sorry for the rant.

Same here in NY... i call to see if i can register the boat but couldn't cause I'm not a charter boat. When families and friends make a visit during holidays i have to refuse taking them out because the registration off is closed for holidays.

In Maryland the registration is on-line. I guess the answer is to have the url saved on my phone and have people register when they board (if not sooner).

I believe the "registry" referred to is the Saltwater Angler Registry which has been a requirement for years. Instead of going thru a "National" link to register, an individual can go thru the "Maryland" link.

I agree this makes no sense if you have folks that go out with you once a year. Make the holder of the boat license responsible for reporting of catches and it simplifies life for everyone

Back