boat heaters

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipperhub

Reaction score
I want to heat my cabin on my 2520. Anybody have any experience with an inverter plugged into the ciglighter type 12 vold power source in the cabin?
Also, any suggestions on a really safe fuel type heater?
I am in Georgia so the cold is not generally severe but last week I suffered thru a two hour run in 20 degrees of temp.

the Buddy Heater propane heater or similar product -got ours from Home Depot. We picked one up last year based on suggestions from CP members. uses the small cans of propane you can find in a camping store. Works great and we have had no prblems with tipping or fumes.

I've heard from some that the CG frowns upon propane use inside boats because it is heavier than air, does not disperse, and will "puddle" in the bilge if it leaks. In theory, if a faulty bilge pump or another electrical circuit kicks on and creates a spark, and there is a puddle of propane settled into the bilge... kablooey!

That's what I've heard, but can't verify whether it is true or not. Makes sense, though. I know fellow spearfishermen that rig propane water heaters on the deck for a warm raw water wash between dives to get the core temp back up, but there's always this raging debate about using propane vs. some other gas and whether it is appropriate (safe) to plumb inside the cabin vs. outside on deck.

http://marinefuel.com/how-you-can-avoid ... xplosions/

Look into an Origo Heat pal 5100. Uses denatured alcohol (wood alcohol) (ACE HARDWARE Product #11343 about $17. a gallon) I've been using this heater since 1998 with super results. It has only 1 moving part, a lolipop shaped damper to regulate heat output. Here, off New Jersey, I fill it with about a quart of the alcohol and it burns for a 6 or 7 hour striper trip. We place it on the floor in front of the port-a-potti. We're dressed warmly, so just a slight bit of heat in the wheelhouse of my 2520 makes us comfortable.

I like the sound of the alcohol heater. Thanks for all the input.
I was hoping someone had experience with the 12 volt power source and an inverter to run a small electric heater with a fan. It may be an amperage draw problem. I am not an electrician but to plug an inverter into a 12volt outlet and produce 115v to power about an 800 watt heater seems to easy.
A free standing heater with it's own fuel source would, of course solve the problem of concerns about running the batteries down.
My intention was to run the electrical heater only when the engines were running.

Thanks Again,

Skipper Hub :D

Back