Boat Retrieval

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fphillips

Reaction score
I have a 23se which I transport with a bunk trailer. I have difficulty lining up the stern on the trailer when retrieving it at a ramp. I have to be fairly exact or the edge of the trim tabs cuts into the bunk. I'd appreciate any suggestions on ways to align the stern. Thanks.

fulton_load_guide_poles.jpg

Do you have forward bunks as well? I'd check the alignment of the bunks with your strakes. Your boat should just float on and self-align. You shouldn't need guides if your trailer is properly fit for your boat.

The guide posts pictured are all plastic (pvc). Since the front of the boat is wider than the stern will they give as the boat goes on the trailer? The bunks run the entire length of the boat.

1. If yours trim tabs cut into the bunks then the bunks are too long. The bunks do not need to go past the transom. Maybe cut off a few inches??

2. With a SE If the bunks are set up properly to the outside of the chines the boat is impossible to load crocked UNLESS YOU BACK YOUR TRAILER TOO DEEP.

3. As far as guides go I really do not see any purpose for them. When I drive on the trailer I can always see my truck and I just assume the trailer is behind it. :lol: :lol:

This is what guide poles can do for you.
Perfect alignment at the ramp.

Image-7FE333800D9911D8.jpg

Megabyte":39queoam said:
This is what guide poles can do for you.
Perfect alignment at the ramp.

What the other poster and I tried to convey is that if your bunks are set up properly you do not need guide posts. If your bunks are not set up properly plastic guide posts will not fix the problem.

I believe my bunks are set up properly; they are outside the chimes and they do not extend beyond the transom. My trim tabs are recessed and are under the stern; not attached to the rear of the stern. Unless the boat is centered perfectly the edges of the tabs cuts into the bunks on one side or the other.

On the boat shown in the photo above, it was not properly setup when I bought her.

I took it to a local trailer shop where they found that it had too much tongue weight, and the bunks were not under the stringers as they should have been.
After they adjusted everything, they also set the guide poles. After that fitting, she was awesome to load, unload, and trailer.

You don't have to agree with the value of guide poles, but in a cross current (IMHO), they can be a godsend.
That said... can we agree to disagree on only that point Cap? 8)

fphillips":3nqjry1k said:
I believe my bunks are set up properly

Have you tried loading the boat with the trailer shallower? Some people call them float on trailers but my trailer is never deep enough to actually float the boat on.

megabite,
I agree to disagree

When the tide is running strong, I'll head into the current, perpendicular to the trailer. I'll brush the guide post until the bow is about 1/2 way between them, then use it as a pivot to put her between the bunks. This once took place after we waited 20 minutes for a fellow without guideposts to finally hit the trailer...

You may not need posts at a protected ramp with a dock, but a couple of the ramps we use are dockless gravel roads that end in current.

BTW, you can set the posts so they're just a little closer than the beam at the stern...the rubrail will spread them as needed keeping the stern pretty well centered. Eventually you might open them up, after being able to predict how your boat will settle under various ramp conditions.

I have a set of those guide posts that I took off my last trailer that I'll sell. I'm not using them so all they are doing is taking up space in the garage. They were too short to be used effectively on the boat I was pulling (25' Grady), so I took them off before the trailer ever touched salt water (bought it new).

If you're intersted, I'll get some pics and measurements.

Back