boat voltage question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitesomthing

Reaction score
went out fishing yesterday and had some electric issues.
had to get jump started in order to start the boat in the afternoon. once i was started i ran the boat 30 miles to home port. i noticed that while at running speed 27mph and rpms of approx 4300/4500 i was only seeing 12.8 volts on my voltage gauge, if i used any thing electric such as the trim tabs my voltage would drop down to 12.6 volts. this does not seem corect to me i would assume i should be getting 13-14 vlots while running at that rpm.
Could a shortage of volts like this be caused by a bad battery (even though my batteries are only months old) or should ui be checking something else.
my motor is a 2001 OX66 250.
thanks
Chris

You should be checking the charge system on the boat. Should be 14.2V @ 2000rpm or above.

Ditto ... I usually see 13.8 to low 14s while above 2K RPMs. I believe on most Yummihas that the voltage rectifier (converts AC current produced by the flywheel rotor and p'head mounted stator to DV volatge) and voltage regulator (maintains the DC current at a usable voltage) are a combo part.

Check your battery connections and if using wing-nuts, THROW THEM AWAYv :shock: and put on nylok fasteners! Put a std 'cut' type SS lock washer on the post, then the battery or motor lead, then another SS cut lock washer, and then anything else.

Please REPORT back to make our archive and search history complete. Good luck!

If any of you are using wing nuts on your batteries, get rid of them. They will loosen over time affect you current draw. As they loosen, your voltage can, and will, drop. Also, be sure to clean your terminals welll and coat with something like corrison block.

You batteries will last much longer and your electronics will thank you.

Back