Bottom Paint Sander

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POGE

Reaction score
What is recommended as a power sander to remove/clean up bottom paint? I have been doing by hand and short of throwing in the towel and having the yard do it; I have got to find a better way to sand.

I know sanding is probably best ...
But I just power wash in the fall real good and let it sit all winter
Then power wash in the spring let dry and put a thin coat on and I'm done
Stays smooth looks good :roll:

I have used a dewalt 5" orbital sander, you can get them at home depot for about $79.00. it comes in a case and has a small bag to trap some of the dust. They also have a great assortment of sanding discs that just velcro on, it works pretty good, light weight. If you keep your boat at a yard some places will rent out their sander to you. Marinas need to be clean these days and may have a set up that includes a dry vac connected to the sander to trap alot more dust.

Marine peel-away works, but it's sensitive to temperature, it's an option

fess":jr1g6b8i said:
Marine peel-away works, but it's sensitive to temperature, it's an option
An expen$ive open at that ..

I'm a fan of the Fall and Spring power washes and I'll scrape it too, using a scraper on a long adjustable pole. A sanding block goes on the end, as does a brush. I find I rarely sand using a power sander.

To me, the percussive effect from power washing 2X per year does the trick, at least when using a good ablative paint anyway.

I sanded mine last year using an orbital sander with my shop vac attached to collect the dust. It worked fine. Still a lot of work.

Thanks all, never thought to hit with the Pwasher in the spring too. I'll try that first then resort to sanding if needed as I did use ablative type so I got my fingers crossed for the power washer alone.

Thanks for suggestions to power wash in Spring too. I use ablative paint making it easier. Today used power washer and was shocked about how much it removed the paint. Just have a electric 1500 psi model really got it off, this should cut sanding easily in half.

I used to hand sand, some power sand in some spots. Gave it up years ago. Got tired of ingesting it.

As others mentioned, power wash, using ablative paint makes a difference. I also bought at a paint or hardware store years ago a swivel head that mounts on a pole that takes rectangular cut sandpaper. Was a big help reaching in.

I have enough ablative use where a paint scraper, some sanding near the water line, power washing is all it gets for preparation.

Knowbody likes to sand but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. (or pay someone)

Back