Bottom Paint - trailerable boat

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freespool

Reaction score
What type of bottom paint do you all use? I want to leave the boat in the water for some of the year, but not all the time. Is there a type of paint that allows this? My understanding that the bottom paing becomes inactive if the boat is out of the water for a period of time. Is there a type of paint that I am not aware of?
Thanks in advance

You will want to use a multi-season ablative paint like the Interlux Microns, or Petit Ultima. Most makers have a paint of this type, and the prices vary. Make sure to wash the scum off the boat after each haul-out or it will harden and dry, leaving the paint underneath worthless when it goes back in.

I use an ablative paint on my boat (Petit Hydracoat), but she sits in a wet slip all season, and on the hard over the winter.
Even though she is out of the water during the off season, the paint retains its properties until she splashes again in the spring.

There are a number of racing sailboats that are stored out of the water in my marina, and those boats wear a 'hard' bottom paint.
Those boats are dropped into the water to race, then hoisted out, power washed, and stored on the hard until the next time they are used which is similar to how you will use your trailered boat.

It might be worth talking to someone at a paint company for a recommendation before proceeding. (NOT the counter guy at West Marine)
Interlux, Petit, and other paint companies have technical support lines you can call to see what they recommend for your application.
If the various companies agree on a type of product, you can then be fairly certain you have selected the right product for your application.
After that, all you need to do is select the brand you want to use.

Good luck!

Curious how HydraCoat has worked for you Kevin?

I love the easy cleanup, but I've had mixed luck with it....... mainly soft growth issues along the waterline.

I sure wouldn't use an "all ablative" paint on a trailered boat ... as ablative paints are soft and you risk losing some every time you launch and load.

You can just paint the entire bottom with AF hard-epoxy based paints.

Or, if I were you, I'd do what's called the "Carolina Coat". Paint the running bottom where the boat contacts the trailer with the AF epoxy 'hard' paint, then apply one of the AF ablatives as recommended from the waterline down a few feet in the bow, from the waterline to the hard chine on the sides and stern.

Best of both worlds!

Brad 21se":19vzau16 said:
Curious how HydraCoat has worked for you Kevin?

I'll let you know when she gets pulled for the season.
This is my first season using it, and from what I can see at the waterline, she looks good. A little fur, but no barnacles.
I should be there the day she comes out, so I'll try to get some photos.

IMHO the performance of ablative paints is primarily affected by how much current and water flow is in the area you moor/store/dock your boat.

Guys I know on the mighty Merrimack River, which has a HUGE tidal flow - love the Hydrocoat!

I tried it, based on their results, but I moor on a lazy backwater brackish estuary and I got much more growth than when using WMarine's CPP ablative.

Now that I think of it, the only places where I've seen expen$ive multi-season AF paints work well has also only been in areas of strong tidal flows ...

The hard racing finish Megabyte referred to is a Teflon based paint called VC Offshore or Baltoplate. This is made to be wet-sanded ultra fine for racing sailboats, and cleaned often. It is super hard but the anti-fouling properties are not great. beware of this paint, if you want to change to another you have to strip it off completely because nothing else will adhere to it because of the Teflon!! :shock:

Freespool":2nagkjxr said:
What type of bottom paint do you all use? I want to leave the boat in the water for some of the year, but not all the time. Is there a type of paint that allows this? My understanding that the bottom paing becomes inactive if the boat is out of the water for a period of time. Is there a type of paint that I am not aware of?
Thanks in advance

How long do you plan to leave the boat in the water? More than a few weeks at a time? If not, you may get away without using any bottom paint and just wash off any scum that accummulates during the short time its in the water whenever you haul the boat out.

As you stated in your post some paints become inactive once pulled from the water, that would be your hard bottom paints. They are an antifouling paint but they work by containing chemicals or Biocides that keep the growth off the bottom of the boat rather that a soft paint that works by polishing itself while under way wearing off paint as you go. I had an interlux rep tell me that in some instances were boats are not moved very often, sometimes the harder paint with the biocides may work better as it does not need the movement of water under the hull to work as Dale was explaining. But getting back to the point, once you pull the boat or the paint runs out of biocides which is every year you will be sanding your ass off and repainting. a soft multi seasonal paint with a little touch up every year is my vote for sure, been there!!!!
I found this information for you to read that may throw some light on it. Good luck Mike

http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCen ... sa_eng.pdf

P.S you have a lot of prep work and a good barrier coat to put on before you paint!

Back