Bottom Paint ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidcochiese

Reaction score
I spoke with a Marina today inquiring on their bottom paint technique (boat that has never been painted). They said they did a very light sanding on the hull for prep. they are afraid a more aggressive sanding would void the hull warranty. I'm concerned about the extra sanding due to the fact the bottom hull has been waxed, and I'm afraid the paint won't adhere properly. What is your take on it?? Should I allow the light sanding, or should I insist on a little more??? I plan on doing the ablative blue followed by the ablative black.. HELP PLEASE !!!. This boat is cherry, and I don't want to F up.. Thanks for any advice, you guys are the pros...
It's about that time !! Kid :?:

A light sanding will remove the mould release, wax, and give a little "tooth" for the paint to hold on to. There is no need for an aggressive sanding.

BTW, why are you using four coats of ablative paint? I think you would be better served to use a couple of coats of an epoxy barrier paint followed by two coats of a contrasting ablative paint. The epoxy will seal the gel coat of the bottom preventing any chance of blistering.

I'd insist on a solvent wash to the hull, working in ONE direction only, before any light sanding was done.

Sanding alone won't remove all traces of wax or hull mold release ...

Well i am in pretty same boat here!!!My bottom has never been painted either but i spoke to dealer that is going to do mine and they are power washing the bottom again and hand washing it before sanding it litely then after sanding there going to wash again dry it off the applying 1st coat primer then they will paint the next day 1 coat morning then before they close there doing 2nd coat,i hate to paint it but i have yet to find a clear coat for the bottom,so i am doing it Shark White which is a very lite grey.Well good luck with yours and all!!!

Keith, A few questions:
1 Where are you going to get it done?
2 How do you plan on finding the water line ? I don't want to paint more that I need
3 Is the shark white ablative?

I'm just hating to do this , but I must

I'm located in Kings Park.... Kid

I can't believe you're thinking about putting bottom paint on that beautiful boat! JC should have sold it to ME! :twisted:

Kidcochiese":39qksd26 said:
Keith, A few questions:
1 Where are you going to get it done?
2 How do you plan on finding the water line ? I don't want to paint more that I need
3 Is the shark white ablative?

It is easy to find the water line. Simply leave the boat in the water for a couple of days. Haul it, mark the water line and paint appox. one inch above that. No problem.

Well yesturday i went to a tent sale at west marine in Long Island got a ton of great stuff for cheap!!!So whn i was there the rep from Interlux was there and he told me all the dos and donts about bottom painting!!They do not make a clear for bottoms cause something to do with copper in it and it not good for marine life,so i am going to go with Shark White which is a grey lite in color,and dealer is doing the painting for me so i know it will done rite and not painted to high up so it looks like crap,cost few bucks but this if life what can we do!!!And he is using Interlux products which is good since i spoke to the rep. and got all answers i need

JWL. I'm with you on that. I don't want to guess at it, like Keith said it will look like crap if it's too high on the sides..
Keith I have to look at that Shark color, Black looks nice though. Is the Interlux ablative?? Ablative is the way to go, it doesn't have peeling issues
Keith is Whitewater painting it?

DaleH":1mnubige said:
I'd insist on a solvent wash to the hull, working in ONE direction only, before any light sanding was done.
Sanding alone won't remove all traces of wax or hull mold release ...

Dale is absolutely correct! A solvent wash is required on a virgin bottom.

When my boat was first painted, they did a solvent wash, sanded the bottom to give it 'tooth', and then solvent washed it a second time.

If you don't remove all of the mold release wax, the paint won't stick.

Well white water is Not doing it,another parker dealer is that is in mass. where i got the boat RiverFront Marine,well they are pressure washing bottom of boat then there going to lightly sand it,then clean it again then put the 1st coat primer let it stand for a bit then put 1st coat of paint on it let it stand over nite following day put 2nd coat on let it stand then fresh wax/polish 2 day job doing it the rite way!!! I dont want the headache of having it done wrong and dealing with peeling,it cost few bucks for them to do it but i dont have to worry there going to do it rite!!!

i have used ablative everyear----boat bhas been docked from april to nov no barnicles and the tide change is 14 feet--when i pull the boat at the end of the year i power wash her before i wrap her..

dave

I wish I could jump on that! I'm pullin' the pin on Dec. 31, start my new job on Jan. 1. With 2 paychecks coming in I'll be in better shape to buy myself a 2120. W/O bottom paint, I hope, but a good deal is a good deal with or without bottom paint.

I have used ablative paint in the past. Bottom painting is a pain in the a$$. Once the bottom is prepped paint rolls on easy. It's that prep part that sucks. Once you lay on 3 coats of ablative you should be good for a couple of years. Then the prep is a light sanding with a scotchbright pad, followed by a couple coats of your paint, then you're good for a few more years.

Dale has it correct. Use a solvent to remove wax from the hull prior to sanding and wipe in one direction only towards the stern. I'd do it twice to make sure all the wax is removed. Sanding first will only drives wax further into the glass. Wipe in one direction prevents smearing the disolved wax arround. Use pleanty of fresh rags. Power washing does nothing to remove wax.
Read Interlux's instructions for bottom painting.

Consider using Interprotect 2000 as a barrier coat (3 coats) followed with ablative paint a different color than the final coat as this will indicate when you need to recoat.

Ray

Latest posts

Back