Bow Gel Coat Damage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charvet

Reaction score
I have about a 1" wide by 8" long damaged area on the bow of my 2320. It was caused by a damaged bow roller on the trailer. It was worn so bad the bow of the boat was rubbing against the metal bolt. I"ve gotten quotes all the way from 200 to 1200 to repair. It is a tough spot to repair because it isn't a flat surface, but is rounded. It also will need to be done right because of the wear this area gets everytime the boat is launched/retrieved and rubs on the bow roller being trailered.

Does anybody with gel coat experience think this is doable for a first time gel coater?

Another option I've considered is reparing the area with epoxy and putting a scuff guard over it. Has anybody been happy with any scuff guard options on our boats? bow gelcoat.jpg

I'd go scuff guard. Not that I'm any sort of gelcoat expert, but since that area receives so much friction from launching, I'd think a nice stainless steel guard would look sharp and never chip/crack again.

Properly cleaned and prepared, gelcoat will be just fine. That doesn't look too deep so I don't think you need much more than gelcoat to do it. I'd put a jack under it and lift it off the trailer maybe 6" and mix up some gelcoat with some West System 404 to thicken it up. Spread it on with a bondo spreader and smooth it out, then cover it with wax paper to let it cure over night then sand it with 600/800/1000/1500 and finish it off with compound if you want to restore the shine.
Then I'd back the trailer just a little deeper in the water when you retrieve the boat so there's not so much load on the rollers (ideally, switch to bunks for your trailer, it's easier on the hull and safer in general than rollers). I sink most of my trailer and make sure all the bunks are wet and then just walk my 2520 onto it by pulling it by hand vs powering up onto the trailer and it's way easier and doesn't beat up the boat so much.

Back