Break-Away anchor (Plow Type)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realtor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see many people that rig their Plow Anchors as Break Away in case they get hung on the bottom.

This first picture is how I currently have it rigged. I'm using a pipe clamp from Lowes. I tried the old heavy duty tip ties, but when "snugging" it up with the windless, they break, so I went back to a pipe clamp. How are you rigging yours?

20220821_181714.jpg

Also, in this second picture, I rigged a safety in case the windless ever lets go in rough seas, or simply the windless simply fails while underway, to keep it from deploying...? simple chute cord, and a small shackle.

20220821_181654.jpg

Where do you boat around? I have never had a need or incident to use the breakaway method except in areas where I knew there were logs below etc. In those areas I attached a line at the front of the anchor with a float that came to the surface. If the anchor got stuck I could retrieve the rode up to the float and when over it grab the float and then pull the line up. Also, changing the anchor to have a slotted shaft will accomplish addressing your concerns as well.

Where do you boat around? I have never had a need or incident to use the breakaway method except in areas where I knew there were logs below etc. In those areas I attached a line at the front of the anchor with a float that came to the surface. If the anchor got stuck I could retrieve the rode up to the float and when over it grab the float and then pull the line up. Also, changing the anchor to have a slotted shaft will accomplish addressing your concerns as well.
NW Florida, I've lost numerous anchors in the rocks and live bottom areas, not to mention the man made structure. Second line would be a pain, I'm usually in 70-100 feet of water. Depending on the current/wind and tide, some times the anchor gets drug into the structure while running the chum slick.

Back