Break-Away Anchor Rigging

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There have been a lot of posts on the various forums after the tragedy in FL where several people drowned after their boat capsized while trying to retrieve a stuck anchor in heavy seas.

Found this post on Florida Sportsman, curious if any of the guys here rig their anchors this way, or have better suggestions?

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=850302

-- Tom

Good, Timely post. It's been said 100 times but still bears repeating.

I'm going to do my Delta this week. Already has the hole in it. Just need to find the wire. West Marine?

I have never rigged any way but that way. I have never lost an anchor while doing it that way. I only use one big wire tie at the top of the anchor, there is no need for a lot of ties because if it breaks, you just put another one on after the retrieve.
I have to wonder why they didn't just cut the anchor line, but then in certain situations if you panic you don't think fast enough

Saw this at the Palm Beach Boat show. Seems pretty neat and he "Said" it works with a windlass. Anchor Saver. It uses a break away bolt system. Replacements are 3 for 10 bucks.

ppem45":3apk5c6a said:
I have to wonder why they didn't just cut the anchor line, but then in certain situations if you panic you don't think fast enough

The sad fact is that most people in a stressful situation like that wouldn't be able to locate a sharp knife quickly if their life depended on it.

That is why it is important to prepare for that contingency ahead of time, and pre-position a sharp knife where you can get to it quickly.
I keep mine at the helm. It is attached to my sounder using velcro.

Image-0EC2D931F14A11D8.jpg

When I bottom fish I take my regular anchor off the line and put one of these on. I lost anchors years ago until I smartened up and started to build these cheap, easy to build and very strong but yet a breakaway anchors.

Here is what you do, go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy either some small Re-Bar or they also sell 3/8" rod and it is about 3 to 4 feet. I now get 5 pieces and put them in a vise one at a time and take a small piece of plumbers pipe and bend each one into the shape of a J. When you have 5 of the made, put them together with 2 hose clamps (one on the top and one on the bottom) holding them together and put a large eye bolt on the top to connect your chain to. Take them to your buddy or local welding shop and have him weld them together. The materials for this is about $8 bucks. My weld guy charges me $10 bucks to do 3 anchors.

When you put it on the boat be sure to bring a 1' piece of pipe with you because when you get hung up on the bottom you just cleat the line off and pull away and it bends 1 or 2 of the tines and you use the pipe to straighten it out. These anchors are very inexpensive to make and when you lose one you dont' have to dig deep into your pockets. I am adding a picture of one that I made and it is a little different, I used a piece of pipe up the center and welded the J's to it. This one or the other will do fine.
Good luck with this priject and if you have any questions just ask.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 2,043
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 2,043
By the way, the 5 gallon bucket next to the anchor has my piece of pipe in it and also 100' of line. I leave it just like it is and when it is no longer of any use I update it with a new anchor or line or whatever. It's simple I know but very effective.

grouperjim":2258a4m6 said:
not windlass friendly.

Why not? The Delta has a trip line hole already in it. You would have to remove the swivel but other than that why wouldn't it work.

Run shackle through the trip hole and chain, zip tie or wire the chain to the top of the anchor and eye of the anchor where your swivel is attached.

Adjust the stainless rail which keeps the anchor from flying around.

What won't work :?:

OR, just use a second anchor best suited for fishing wrecks.

I already lost one anchor on a wreck. The current was ripping and I didn't allow enough distance, up current, to allow the anchor to reach bottom and set in the sand. I drifted right over the wreck.

It set alright. Right in the shrimp trawler porthole.

Cut it and learn.

TheOtherLine":101bwij2 said:
The Delta has a trip line hole already in it. You would have to remove the swivel but other than that why wouldn't it work.

If you added a short length of chain to the swivel (to get to the trip-line hole), and positioned the swivel behind the rear attachment point, you could keep the swivel too.

Rather than rig with a cable tie, I use a length of the wire from an old 5-gallon bucket handle. Once through the chain with a twist to make it "permanent" on the chain so when it pops off the anchor I can still retain it on the chain, and then through the anchor with two twists to hold the chain fast.

It's only popped once when I needed it to (on a wreck) and never when achored in mud or sand.

Great ideas and concept ... but ...

I hope that anyone that rigs a break-away anchor also carries a SPARE anchor or a dedicated STORM anchor that is NOT rigged in such a break-away fashion.

I'd opine that more lives have been lost by not having a proper anchor (setting or sea) to keep the bow into the waves during s$#t hits the fan weather.

Megabyte":y1ri3kjv said:
TheOtherLine":y1ri3kjv said:
The Delta has a trip line hole already in it. You would have to remove the swivel but other than that why wouldn't it work.

If you added a short length of chain to the swivel (to get to the trip-line hole), and positioned the swivel behind the rear attachment point, you could keep the swivel too.

Why not just put the swivel on the rope side??

This is how the Anchor Save people rig it.

Attachments

• swivel_picture with anchor saver (Small).jpg
    swivel_picture with anchor saver (Small).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,954
I'm with Dale on this one. When anchored I want to stay 100 percent secured with more than breakaway between me and busting loose.

I was at Defender today with a friend (again) and I picked up another shackle that is going on my Delta anchor just in case I need to to be in the no "Breakaway" mode. Good catch Dale.

DaleH":imlmq6ty said:
Great ideas and concept ... but ...

I hope that anyone that rigs a break-away anchor also carries a SPARE anchor or a dedicated STORM anchor that is NOT rigged in such a break-away fashion.

I'd opine that more lives have been lost by not having a proper anchor (setting or sea) to keep the bow into the waves during s$#t hits the fan weather.

Bravo!

I've spent over 1,000 nights at anchor (we lived aboard a sailboat for 3+ years) and it is my finding that it's much more important to concentrate on keeping the anchor IN, than making sure you can get it out. Also, that every 'gadget' you employ aboard adds to the complexity. Now this isn't a problem and can even be fun when everything is going your way, but when push comes to shove, the simpler the better. It is never ONE thing that causes trouble, it's a multitude of things that create a disaster and all those gadgets contribute to the multitude. During the times I really want my anchor to hold, the last thing I want to worry about is a wind or current shift causing the Anchor Saver to 'save' my anchor when I need to stay put. I have nightmares about moving parts underwater anyway.

The same goes for triplines with a float. We tried that once. During the night the tide changed. We drifted into the trip line and it caught the prop; we swung with the new current and up came the anchor...and guess what, now the motor was useless because the prop was fouled.

Of course, YMMV.

Back