Broken Skeg

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozdogg

Reaction score
Parker family,

Okay, so I forgot to raise my out board at the launch and broke the tip off of the skeg. It's about 1" off of the aft tip. Is this a major issue? Can I just file the rough edges and call it a day? I did some research and there some stainless steel replacement skegs that are around, but those look like they're needed when you break off a big piece of the skeg. What should I do?! Appreciate any advice.

A buddy lost a large part of his skeg trailering a Sea Hunt 235. If you are near Charleston I will get you the number of the place that fixed his. 0 problems after the replacement.

A buddy lost a large part of his skeg trailering a Sea Hunt 235. If you are near Charleston I will get you the number of the place that fixed his. 0 problems after the replacement.
Thank you! I'll just monitor and see how my boat handles.

Put a Skegguard on your skeg, and you won't have to worry about it in the future. They are generally less than 100$. Go to their website and order one to fit your engine. I have used them on my boats for years and saved many a skeg as I fish in shallow water that the bottom can be quite rocky and occasionally the skeg with hit bottom as I drift through fishing. They have been great! Company is located in Texas I think.

Put a Skegguard on your skeg, and you won't have to worry about it in the future. They are generally less than 100$. Go to their website and order one to fit your engine. I have used them on my boats for years and saved many a skeg as I fish in shallow water that the bottom can be quite rocky and occasionally the skeg with hit bottom as I drift through fishing. They have been great! Company is located in Texas I think.
Thank you Doc! Since the damage is small (1"), I think that's the route I'll take. Thanks for the advice!

Find a good welder that can weld build it up or weld a new one on. Would be pretty easy.
we used to weld them on Needed to remove the seals and gears and have an empty gear case to do it

Reactions: A-K
Agree with skeg guard…. I do a lot of shallow saltwater striped bass fishing and have banged a few big rocks- good insurance and will correct your small defect. Easy to install.

Agree with skeg guard…. I do a lot of shallow saltwater striped bass fishing and have banged a few big rocks- good insurance and will correct your small defect. Easy to install.
Okay, so I did some research and see two different brands. SkegGurad and Gator Guard. Any difference between the two?

no idea if one is better than the other. i did also buy a gator guard.

i have a keel guard section on my bow by them too (when getting on the trailer and coming in hot).

both held up well over the years.

no idea if one is better than the other. i did also buy a gator guard.

i have a keel guard section on my bow by them too (when getting on the trailer and coming in hot).

both held up well over the years.

correction:

the skeg guard is called SkegGuard.
KEEL guard is Gator Guard.

We have Skeg guards that work really well. See the attached photo. The stainless steel guards have a little horizontal plate welded on the bottom.
These have saved me on a few occasions. Cheers, Kadman

Attachments

• Permatrims Installed_ (002).jpg
    Permatrims Installed_ (002).jpg
    571 KB · Views: 55
Okay, so I did some research and see two different brands. SkegGurad and Gator Guard. Any difference between the two?

Initially I docked my boat bow in. Second season of ownership a woman backed her boat into mine and took off a decent sized chunk of skeg. It didn’t seem to impact control but I HATED the look and not wanting to haul the boat and lose time to have it welded, I opted to put a Skegguard on. Figured I would get the skeg welded at the end of the season. Eleven years and 1700 hours later the SkegGuard was still on my engine. I never had any issues with it and after a couple of years, I almost forgot that ugly break that it was concealing.

I would rate my overall SkegGuard experience as being 100% satisfied with the product.

Last edited:
We have Skeg guards that work really well. See the attached photo. The stainless steel guards have a little horizontal plate welded on the bottom.
These have saved me on a few occasions. Cheers, Kadman
Thank you! How do you like the Permatrims? I recently installed one and it work great.

Initially I docked my boat bow in. Second season of ownership a woman backed her boat into mine and took off a decent sized chunk of skeg. It didn’t seem to impact control but I HATED the look and not wanting to haul the boat and lose time to have it welded, I opted to put a Skegguard on. Figured I would get the skeg welded at the end of the season. Eleven years and 1700 hours later the SkegGuard was still on my engine. I never had any issues with it and after a couple of years, I almost forgot that ugly break that it was concealing.

I would rate my overall SkegGuard experience as being 100% satisfied with the produc.
Wow, thanks for the feedback!

Back