Bunks or Rollers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Sr

Reaction score
I'm looking for a trailer for my 2520 I/O.What's the pro's and cons between the two.I'm looking at a 8400lb Loadrite aluminum w/disc brakes and its a bunk loader.

I would suggest roller if you launch a lot, bunks if it is for mostly storage. I have a 2320 that is kept in the water April/to 1st Nov I have a bunk trailer. I know a few guys that trailer 27' boats with bunk trailers with no unload/load problems.

A lot depends on the tide swings in your area.
For places that experience big swings in the tide, a roller trailer is generally preferred, usually with a power winch.
Downside is that all those rollers require maintenance and if one happens to pop off at the wrong time, a nasty hull gouge can be the result.

My area does not get tide swings much beyond 2', so in this area bunk trailers are preferred.
Maintenance on bunk trailers is simple and the hull is always protected.
If you go that route, get keel bunks in addition to the hull bunks.
It will help keep you aligned when loading and provide extra support.

I have owned both types in the past and if I ever need to buy another, it will be an aluminum bunk trailer.

Thanks guys.My boat stays in the water from April to after Thanksgiving.I think I might go with the aluminum bunk.After Sandy I want to be able to bring this boat home and not leave it down the shore.

Mark Sr

There were two factors that steered me towards an AL bunk trailer for my old Grady Sailfish.

1. Cost. Aluminum bunk was WAY less than a high quality galvanized roller.
2. Width. The Sailfish had a 9'6" beam...just like your 2520. By going aluminum I was able to get an extra wide frame. This kind of hid the width of the boat and I never bothered to get an over-wide permit.

If ordering new, consider torsion axles rather than springs.

One less item to corrode and a torsion sprung trailer rides lower making loading at shallow ramps (or at low tide) easier.
The trailer doesn't have to be backed as far into the water in order to load with torsion axles, compared to leaf springs.

Megabyte":1vwfglv1 said:
If ordering new, consider torsion axles rather than springs.

One less item to corrode and a torsion sprung trailer rides lower making loading at shallow ramps (or at low tide) easier.
The trailer doesn't have to be backed as far into the water in order to load with torsion axles, compared to leaf springs.

They also ride better.

I have owned both. Yes rollers can give you access to those special difficult ramps but bunk WITH POLY SLICKS is the way to go. Boat slides on and off easily. You dont have to bury the trailer to get the boat on and off. You can crank it up if needed.

B-Faithful":272zy7k8 said:
I have owned both. Yes rollers can give you access to those special difficult ramps but bunk WITH POLY SLICKS is the way to go. Boat slides on and off easily. You dont have to bury the trailer to get the boat on and off. You can crank it up if needed.

Did your boat ever slide sideways on those rollers? :wink:

I've had both as well and agree that each have their merits, but I'll stick with rollers.

Bunks with poly slicks is my choice and I've had both. I launch alone much of the time and the boat would always roll back when I was loading. Too difficult to hook the winch while motor was running. With bunks I power on, shut down and get out and hook strap. I won't own another roller bunk trailer.

Steve

Luv2fish":pon41gy3 said:
Bunks with poly slicks is my choice and I've had both. I launch alone much of the time and the boat would always roll back when I was loading. Too difficult to hook the winch while motor was running. With bunks I power on, shut down and get out and hook strap. I won't own another roller bunk trailer.

Steve

I agree with the Bunk crowd. I've also had both and IMO over tine the Bunk style is less maintenance as you don't have to deal with replacing rollers and all the corroded pins/rods etc that inevatably come off and break. I keep mine on the trailer and launch/load it all the tine by myself and as said above, it's nice to just drive it on and shut down, hook and out without the boat rolling back while your trying to get off and hook it.

Back