Cabin Heaters

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one that takes a single propane bottle. The one problem with it comes in rough water. It has an tip-over shut-off mechanism. When the boat is rocking, it turns the heater off...even though the heater doesn't actually tip over.

I also have a Coleman "Black Cat." It doesn't have all the safety features (tip-over, oxy depletion, etc.), I now run it on the passenger side console and reserve the Mr. Heater for inside the cabin where the safety features are important.

Since the middle-rear curtain always seems to be rolled up, even in the worst weather, there is plenty of air movement in/out of the enclosed helm area that I don't worry about oxy depletion or C02 build up. The Black Cat is designed so that it is almost impossible to tip over in the roughest water.

In truth, all my trips to the CBBT in Nov and Dec the WX has not been below freezing. By layering clothing, wearing insulated boots with extra socks, and moving around with fishing, I've had to do little more than use the heaters to warm hands.

Dave

We've got a generator and can use an electric heater, but it's hard to beat a couple of these in your gloves and socks. Nice and warm all day (or night).

http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Factory-40-pack-Packs/dp/B0000BXIMV

31EYQQS4S3L._AA233_.jpg

Our WalMart carries them in season.

Thanks guys for the replies. It's mainly for my first mate. ( my daughter)
This is my favorite time of the year, can't take the heat any more. Just having the cabin to go into works for me.

jeffnick":2ugxae5j said:
We've got a generator and can use an electric heater, but it's hard to beat a couple of these in your gloves and socks. Nice and warm all day (or night).

http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Factory-40-pack-Packs/dp/B0000BXIMV

31EYQQS4S3L._AA233_.jpg

Our WalMart carries them in season.

I use those hunting. I've packed them for the Dec CBBT trip before, but never used them. They do work great in a deer stand.

On a couple of mornings when we had frost, I fired up the Mr. Heater and turned it up on "Sweat" while we rigged the boat and warmed the motors. It melted the frost that had accumulated on both inside and outside of the vinyl curtains.

The Coleman "Black Cat" I also use is very similar to the Golf cart heater. The Mr. Heater generates more heat, but the Coleman will run all day long without accidentally shutting off in rough water.

TonyAmalfitano":meg6czd3 said:
I've used the Origo 5100 "Heat Pal" in two boats now.

Hmmm...that looks interesting. I could see removing the porta-pottie and using velcro to stick that heater to the cockpit sole in the berth.

How does it deal with chop and rock and roll? Does the alcohol stay put and not spill?

Dave

The alcohol canister is a large fire proof wick, the wick is soaked with the aclohol. It burns like a large sterno. I have had it in the enclosed pilot house of the Albin, on the carpet, and it did not move.

I was going to start this topic and you guys beat me to the punch. I have been looking for a good cabin heater for my winter fishing and found a heater that looks perfect. I spoke with a distributor who has sold several for people with boats but technically is not a "boat heater".Oxygen Depletion Sensor, 99.9% efficient and totally sealed combustion chamber, cool to the touch cabinet with quite blower. I went into an office where they were using one of these for there primary heat source for a 600sq ft office with an ambient temp outside of 32 degrees it was nice and toasty! Here is the info it is made by the people known for tank less water heaters "Rannia". They are not cheap but you can use them in you garage, bathroom or a supplement heat in your house. You will be amazed with the amount of heat this little heater pumps out.

I am going to install one in my 2520 and I will take pictures once complete and let you know how it works. My plan is to mount it to the wall behind the captain’s chair with the fan output facing forward. I will run the hose to the tank to the rear deck under the gunwale. I have an aluminum 5 lb cylinder to supply the fuel and will sit in front of or inside the rear helm. I will also install a 1000 watt inverter to power the electronics. I will use the inverter for other things and opted for the larger one. This Rannia only draws 33 watts based on the manufacturer specs so I will have plenty extra juice for other 120volt devices. Rannia makes several models and I think I will opt for the RCE-429A as it has a larger output and would be more useful for other applications. When I use it in the boat I will just set it on low 5200btu. With the 5 lb cylinder I will be able to run it for 18 hours straight. Check out the specs on this thing you will be impressed!

http://www.rinnai.us/.aspx/14e7/b.1333c ... s-Benefits

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 976
I have had the Mr. Heater Portable "Buddy" for three years now and It heats the pilot house very well. I have only used it a half dozen times but it is so efficient I can only stand to run it for ten minutes at a time before it is too hot inside. My main worry is having an ignition source in the cabin where there could be residual gasoline vapors. I always am sure the cabin is well ventilated and I have a cork for the floor drain so no vapors can rise out of the bilge. What concerns me is the close proximity to the fuel filler hose and vent hose. I maintain an open window when using the heater.

Back