Caulking for Wood Trim

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsterling

Reaction score
I have restored the woodwork in the cockpit of my 23' W/A and am ready to reinstall. I was planning to use 4200 but thought that might be overkill. What would be best, 4200, 3000, silicone, or something else?

Last edited:
Is the wood teak? You say it is trim. Do you think you may ever want to take it off again? If you use an adhesive I would definitely wipe it with acetone to remove any oils on the teak so that it will adhere better. Is the trim being applied vertically? If so, how will you hold it in place until adhesive cures?

My original post was done in a rush on the way out the door. I’m looking to seal the door frames to the cabin and also the wooden compartments beside each seat. They are mahogany but have been coated with west system epoxy. They will be secured with ss screws, so I’m not looking for an adhesive but a good sealant. I’ve narrowed my options to 3M 3000 or 3M marine silicone. I’d like to be able to remove the trim later if I need to refinish the wood again

the purpose of the caulk is take up the voids and prevent water from getting stinky behind
42 or 52 or any of the urethanes is overkill
Silicone is a marriage for better or worse
you can go real old school and use bedding compound if you really need something
do not believe there is a real need for trim
FYI WEST does not like the sunlight. You will need to protect the west with something with a lot of uv resistance

Back