Chessie Weekend - timing is everything

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave-j

Reaction score
My boys and I went down to Baltimore this weekend to fish with a buddy (tim-a on this board) on B-Faithful's old ride, the Maycraft. Nice boat. Well thought out and very comfy. We had a couple of minor mech/electrical issues, but for the most part, a great ride! Greg was called a couple of times for technical consult and once had a simple solution to an oil reserve problem that I wouldn't have thought of in a million years. Thanks!

Man, we worked it hard. Trolled eight lines out. Plenty of bait in the water, location seemed good right off spawning rivers, etc. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. In fairness, nobody else seemed to be getting a lot either. Bay was all coffee colored from the rains last week. Maybe that was it. Maybe they had moved further south. Maybe there was another hatch that they preferred. Who knows? Still a great time just being on the water!

Three observations. First, the gear used down there for trolling is only a step removed from what we use up in Mass for tuna! I mean heavy, 60 lb rods and line. It was wild.

Second, the use of planer boards is wild. I had never seen them before. They really do get the lines out there. However, some of the charter guys in particular were essentially using up 75 yards of ocean when they trolled with their boards out so far. On Stelwagen that would last maybe ten minutes before somebody told them to go screw and drove right over the lines!

Last, I propose that anybody from the Bay be automatically dismissed from discussions about deep vee vs. modified! Just kidding, of course, but there is absolutely no comparing the "chop" on the bay to what we deal with on the Atlantic. It just is not nearly the same. Mod vee works great down there where it would be sub optimal up here.

Glad you made it down. Sounds like you guys had and interesting day.. (Ya Gotta check the 2stroke oil resevoir before heading out :lol: :lol: )

It was like a light switch during the MSSA tournament as we had two good days then it all but shut down (only 3 fish the last day). The bulk of the migratory fish are south of the Annapolis area as the spawn is pretty much over. The fish are also feeding on the May worms in the bay now so it is hard to get them to bite a swim bait when the fish can fill themselves on worms coming out of the bay's bottom.

Planerboards are a unique way of fishing and some of the charter boats here pull some LONG LINES (200' of line ea side making the boards about 100' off each side) The concept of getting the lines away from the boat in clean water can be done with 75-100' of line (making the boards 35-50' out from the boat with the angle they pull from the boat). I pull 100' of line each side and it doesnt affect manuverability as I can turn pretty tight without tangles with them. (see plotter below).

The gear I use is all 30# class gear. 330gti, 20-40lb class rod and 30lb mono. It may seem heavy for stripers but the baits we are pulling are much much larger than offshore tuna baits and a lot of drag through the water.

Regarding the chop, i fish both the ocean and the bay. Trust me the bay can can get nasty too. When the wind and current oppose each other it is a washing machine-line short steep chop. It certainly is a different type of sea. I will take a 3-4 foot sea in the ocean over the bay any day :!: With that said mod v's do work best for the bay IMHO as we do have a lot more days of fair weather seas and the fact that most Chesbay fisherman arent traveling the same distances to fish on a regular basis. A 23-30 mile run is long and not the norm to find fish. (although I am trailering an hour south tomorrow to find the good bite :lol: )

here is the manuverability I have with the planerboards as you can see the circles I make on bait.

Attachments

• fishfinder.jpg
    fishfinder.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 127
Back