Choosing between the 2320 and the 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantrobarts

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My dad is looking into the Parker pilothouses and having a hard time deciding between the 23' or the 25'.

We would be using the boat out of Santa Cruz, CA doing offshore fishing, possibly tuna so I would guess up to 60 miles offshore. But we also want to be able to use it for some of the bigger lakes in Northern California.

We want to do outboards, and I'm almost positive we are going to go with a twin outboard setup. He has found some sweet deals on the 2320, but my worry is that for the offshore stuff, we will find a harder time making it out there on days that are a little more rough.

Any input would be great! Thanks and great forum!

grantrobarts":2juq8bc3 said:
We would be using the boat out of Santa Cruz, CA doing offshore fishing, possibly tuna so I would guess up to 60 miles offshore. But we also want to be able to use it for some of the bigger lakes in Northern California.

To me the issue would be trailering. Either will take a sea to where you will live, you will get back, but you sure won't be able to fish as you will NOT be able to stand on the back deck!

The larger beam (exceeding 8'6" beam) requires special oversized load permits in most States. Many tow without thesepermits, but if in an accident, you will have ZERO insuracne coverage for your vehicle, trailer, your boat, YOUR body, and any other damages or injuries to others or others' property. Let's sum it up this way ... "Do you want your house to stay as yours???"

I personally wouldn't want to routinely trailer such a big girl as a 2520 class boat ... I'd need both a mega trailer AND tow vehicle :shock: !

DaleH":20bbyntm said:
grantrobarts":20bbyntm said:

To me the issue would be trailering. Either will take a sea to where you will live, you will get back, but you sure won't be able to fish as you will NOT be able to stand on the back deck!

The larger beam (exceeding 8'6" beam) requires special oversized load permits in most States. Many tow without thesepermits, but if in an accident, you will have ZERO insuracne coverage for your vehicle, trailer, your boat, YOUR body, and any other damages or injuries to others or others' property. Let's sum it up this way ... "Do you want your house to stay as yours???"

I personally wouldn't want to routinely trailer such a big girl as a 2520 class boat ... I'd need both a mega trailer AND tow vehicle :shock: !

My dad had a 28' Skagit Orca years ago and really didnt have any issues towing that, as we do have a diesel truck that does the job of towing. But it is nicer to be only towing a 23'.

money and twins. Those are going to be deciding factors. I would recommend the 23 over a mod v 25. Nothing against a mod v but 60 miles offshore you might start to question why. Twin motors that far would be nice to have plus you would have the speed but youre talking almost twice the money of a 23.

I've had a 2320 since 2002 and a friend has a 2520. Towed them both with my F250 Powerstroke. The 2320 I am completely comfortable towing virtually anywhere-No Cal, Baja, and in November I will haul in back to North Carolina from So Cal. The 2520 I wouldn't dream of doing any of that-local OK, but not even an Orange County to San Diego run would be any fun, maybe with an F350. The width would be the issue for back roads and Baja.

As far as going offshore with the 2320 and a single F225. I will get some negative feedback on this, but I am very comfortable with doing it. Been 65+ out of San Diego, 85+ out of Newport, and solo 35+ out of both Bahia de Los Angeles and Punta Chivato in Baja. I will be more conservative on the east coast as the water and weather are more unpredictable, but the west coast is pretty predictable.

Jeff

I go offshore on my 23dvsc with a single as often as i can, no canyon trips but 60/80 miles is not a problem. of course watch the weather and conditions before and during trip.

You can rig a 2320 with twin yamaha F115's. I have one and it peforms to my liking.

Mark W

Attachments

• parker23.jpg
    parker23.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,282
Most engine problems today revolve around bad fuel so twins arent going to help you there. If you strike something in the water generally twin outboards are so close together that you will be wiping out both too. I personally would go with the large single and get a kicker for your purposes. It is not likely you could plane on one engine with twins anyhow.
This will keep your boat at a better balance and save big on up front costs, maintenance, repower, etc.

Just my thoughts

Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone. The newest development is possibly getting a 2530 Extended Cab with the galley setup. But these are not easy to find.

Yes it was a custom job. Deal was worked through dealership. Boat was delivered with a single and the twins were mounted at the dealership.
Mark W

23' versus 25', big question as they say, mainly on beam, weight, overall usable size. Pulling 25' needs good rigs.

I have a 2530 and only pull it a few times a year. But I tie up money in a big truck for it, and a trailer.

Your latest comment was leaning toward 25', and maybe a 2530. You can find brand new ones!!

My 2530 is over 6,000 lb dry weight. Lot of old threads about 23 versus 25', guys doing a lot of towing.

Dana

What are you towing with right now? We have a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel and 4x4, automatic transmission.

I had two Ford F-250 trucks before, both V-10 engines and 4x4, Supercabs.

I have a 2005 F-350 diesel now, also Supercab 4x4. F-350 was on the lot, didn't necessarily need it. Just has more payload capacity, not towing versus F-250.

Diesel and V-10 were both good for towing.

Dana

CAPT Kevin / B Faithful

No disrespect but all CAPT's who run a Big Single outboard and a Kicker always seem to point to twins and say twins are not worth it because "they run off the same fuel system" and it is most likely the problem if you have a problem, the running gear on both engines will be inop if you hit something and you can't plane on one engine.

Twin owners will say when you are 60 miles out a Kicker may not make head way on a high profile, heavy bult pilot house boat running against a bow sea that is building and a 20 kt wind. Not to mention contending with a kicker's ventilating prop in a sizable sea state.

I fish a lot offshore up 40-60 miles out. I'll stick with twin power -and the added initial and maintenance costs etc. thank you very much and to each his own.

Mark W

Mark, we have always gone the "one big w/ kicker" route but I tend to agree with you. I have fished boats with twins and you can't beat the ability to troll off one medium and shut down the other. Granted trolling is a way of life for us, pretty much all we do. Beats trolling with a kicker hands down. As I posted in another thread, you gotta pay to play. Just depends on how much your willing to fork over.

That said I do like your set up. A 23 DVCC w/ twin 115s would be my dream boat. As is, to get a parker with twins your looking at 25' and up.

B-Faithful":9ne6q9wm said:
Most engine problems today revolve around bad fuel so twins arent going to help you there. If you strike something in the water generally twin outboards are so close together that you will be wiping out both too. I personally would go with the large single and get a kicker for your purposes. It is not likely you could plane on one engine with twins anyhow.
This will keep your boat at a better balance and save big on up front costs, maintenance, repower, etc.

Just my thoughts

I had that problem with bad fuel turns out that it was a clogged fuel filter. picked it up from my seldom used axillary tank, now I carry 2 spare filters
30 miles offshore runnin back with my kicker in 2 meter waves took a while
Lets just say I tied up in pitch DARK!!!!

Now my next boat is Def............a twin set up

I've got a 2520 with a single Yamaha 225 2 cycle.

I the last month I 've be 60 + off and on three occasion had engine problems.
1 I did not have a 10 micron main fliter and clogged the high pressure fuel pump screen, repaired on site and continued home.

2. Clogged filter on the auxilaray oil resiviour causing the low level alarm to go off on the engine oil tank, cleaned filter on site and made it home.

3. lower unit in on the engine broke a tooth, got towed in from 53+ mile by a commercial towing service, if I did not have amembership the tow would have been $3500+

Go with the 25 , you won't regret the extra room. Get two engines, you would have a really hard time going 50 + miles on a kicker.

Capt Brian

Back