Circle Hook Help/Advice.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2043

Reaction score
Hi guy's.

Here's the situation. I'm having a lot of fish (stripers) swallow the hook. I am using 7/0 Gamakatsu Circle Hooks. What I am doing is, while using bunker chunks I wait for a bite with the rod in the rod holder, when I get a bite the reel takes off and I pick up the rod. As soon as the run stops I throw the lever and start reeling. This is how I was told to use theses hooks. I also did this last season and only had one fish swallow a hook.
I release almost all the fish I catch and want them to survive. I had to today swallow I hut the line and let them go. Hopefully they will survive.

Am I waiting to long?

Should I be using bigger hooks?

Thanks

Mike

Are they offset or in-line circles??

The offsets will gut hook fish on occasion, the in-lines not so much.

once you feel him take it give him line--free spool count to three lock it down and stick him,make sure hook is exposed on the circle hook

dave

Bryan 2530":vf57ertl said:
Are the offset or in-line circles??

The offsets will gut hook fish on occasion, the in-lines not so much.
I second that.

Hit them a little sooner. It only has to be in their mouth to get them in the corner with the hook. By waiting that long, you are probably letting them get that chunk down the gullet.

We fish for bull drum down here the same way. Don't leave the bail open while in the rod holder. Just grab the rod as soon as they start peeling line and pull tight and reel - don't set the hook. Pinch the barb as well to help on the occassion they do get deep hooked. We see almost 100% mortality fishing this way on all released fish.

Capt Bill Welder":1nczqmrb said:
I would not think that you would need a baitrunner type reel for chunks of bunker.
Have you ever tried leaving the rod in the holder without using the freespool feature?

That is how I do it.
Smaller chunks, an exposed hook, and the bail closed.

I use nothing bigger than 5/0 inlines with spinning reels and braid.
Can't recall the last gut-hook I had. It was long ago.

Thanks Guy's.

The hooks look to be the offset's. I have some new one's on order. I am using a bait caster style reels and they are set with the clicker on. I will not wait as long as I have been.

I have to go back to work tomorrow and I have a contractor coming to do some work this weekend so it's going to be about a week before I can get back out :cry: --- Damn work getting in the way of fishing.

Thanks again for the help.

Capt Bill Welder":3v1xgtfp said:
ryanc2":3v1xgtfp said:
We see almost 100% mortality fishing this way on all released fish.

Huh?

I'm talking about fish caught over the slot size (> 27") and have to be released. Those bulls are older than most people that frequent this forum and have many times in the past gone belly up after release b/c of being gut hooked with guys using J-hooks and free spooled lines. Many studies have been done about the mortality rates of these fish using short leaders and circle hooks, but we still occasionally still will see one not revive after long fights, trying to remove deep hooks instead of cutting off, and being mishandled on deck after the catch.

http://www.ncangler.com/articles/saltwa ... -rig-1070/

Been using circles for years.
For chunk'n: 7/0 circle, rod in rod holder bail closed, when bait taken, one to two slow turns of reel with rod still in holder, then reel them in. solid hooks ups almost never gut hooked.
For live lining; 8/0 circle(try to rig with as much of hook exposed as possible) rod in rod holder, clicker on, 3 count when clicker goes, then lock reel, one or two slow turns rod still in holder, clicker off and reel in.
It seems or just guessing the slow turns helps set the circle hook when the fish turns, like the hook set slam sets the J style hooks.

Back