Class III or IV Hitch for Parker 23SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeFlies

Reaction score
I just picked up a '07 F150 that comes with a stock Class III hitch (5000 lbs) and there is an issue of replacing the Class III hitch with a Class III/IV or IV (6000 lbs+) hitch because on a '07 F150 the bumper is bolted to the bumper? I calculated my 23SE (with 110 gallons of fuel, 500 lbs of gear, trailer and the 200 4 stroke yam) weight to come in at 5700 lbs. I can get it down to maybe 5300 lbs or so with limited fuel and was wondering if most guys tow with a Class III (stock hitch) or with a Class IV. I would like to go with a Class IV, but can't find one that will fit a factory installed hitch. What do you think? If anyone has replaced a factory hitch on a F150 '07, I would love to know what brand/stock # you used. Thanks.

Thanks. I read on THT that some people are using the Equalizer WD hitch and seem to really like them. That would solve my problem, but they are expensive and do seem to work with surge breaks.

I think I could get the weight pretty close to the Class III (5K) limit, but not sure.

Weights fully loaded (no T-top or rails)
Boat = 2850
110 Gal of Fuel = 770
Engine = 583
Trailer = 1000
Gear = 500
Total = 5703

If I only had 20 gallons of fuel (save 630 lbs) in the boat and nothing other than an anchor as gear in the boat (maybe save another 250, leave 250 as a cushion) that would bring my total weight down to 4823. Any thoughts?

FishFactory: the issue is with a 2007 F150 that has a factory hitch, I haven't found any hitches that can be installed on the truck. After searching F150 forum sites, it looks like a common problem. The bumper actually is bolted to the hitch. But, if anyone has (or knows someone) that has added an after market hitch to an '07 F150, that would be great. Let me know the manufacture and parts #. I would prefer to go up in hitch size, but finding one that fits is another story.

Time Flies:

This is strictly just throwing it out there. The reason might be because Ford has only optioned (brakes, coolers, etc.) the truck for the weight of that hitch. If you have a bigger hitch put on and get into one of those accident situations with the insurance co. and lawyers etc. your screwed anyway and your insurance co. may even bail on you. Enough doom and gloom.

Think about this, even if you install a bigger hitch the reciever still has the same 5/8 hitch pin in it. I have a 1 ton 3500 chevy and the hitch takes the same 5/8 pin in the reciever. :? I am all about the right size truck for the application but if thats what you have to work with just use what you have.

If you really want to pursue it, check out U-Haul. I was very impressed with one of there hitch install sites. The one I saw was first class.

Remember, if you have any welding done make sure that they disconnect the negative battery cable first or you will be sorry you ever thought about a hitch! :x

Back